Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

RTA - my fault

I was involved in a collision last night with a cyclist, and ultimately, I believe the fault to be mine. I am unsure what to do next.

It was late, I had just finished work and was driving home. I approached a junction, with a view to turning right. I slowed down but didn't stop as I believed I was the only vehicle on the road, I did my left and right checks and proceeded on.  It's a wide street with a lot of parked cars, so you need to check left and right several times to be sure, which I did. I only saw the cyclist as she hit my car with quite a bang and fell into the road. I immediately stopped, to see was she ok, and helped her up and onto the pavement. Some 30 seconds later, another car pulled up to offer assitance. I offered to call an ambulance and the police but she was insistent that I didn't, and kept saying she was ok - no broken bones. I immediately apologised and continued to check she was ok. I asked had she hit her head but the only injury seemed to be a badly bruised shin. Aside from the injured party's name, I got no further details from any party. I provided my name and number and asked her could she let me know how she was, and if there was anything I could do, I would. The other car took the girl and her bike home. I offered to pay for any damage to her bike, which was a buckled front wheel and also offered the use of my bike until hers was fixed. Again, I said I would wait if she wanted to call the police but she just wanted to get home. 

I was fairly shaken by the experience, and would have collected rthe correct details if I had been in my right mind, but now I am unsure what to do. I've never hit anyone before and as a former frequent cyclist, I am always mindful of them when I am driving. I honestly did not see her as I was turning right. I think this was because she was in my blind spot when I was looking  right, and when I pulled out as she was approaching, I was looking left to check for oncoming traffic. The timing was all wrong. She was darkly clothed but she did have lights, which I didn't see. 

I have not heard from her, and I know of no way to contact her. It was a perfectly civil altercation and bless her, she was more worried about me, than herself. 

From a legal point of view, what do I need to do next? I explicitly take full responsibility for this - I put her life in danger, and I am horrified. I need to know what my repsonsibility is next for both of us. Is anyone able to advise? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

untakenname | 8 years ago
1 like

Report to the police within 24 hours as if she or the other driver reports it then you'll get done for DWDCA as well as this. 

Quote:

AC20 Failing to give particulars or report an accident within 24 hours 5 to 10 penalty points

CygnusX1 | 8 years ago
1 like

Thankfully, it sounds like she only suffered minor injuries.  

You probably should report the incident to the police, and to your insurance company.

Latest Comments