Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Proper overshoe review required. Road cc.

It is about time we had a proper overshoe review on here, one where they are actually tested in the rain or at least had a shower hose directed at them for 20mins so we can all stop wasting our money on junk that doesnt work, im on my 4th pair and latest sealskins ones claim to be waterproof but are nothing of the sort. Come on road cc sort it out.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Rick99 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Gloves: like everything waterproof Gore stuff is the best ..... It's goretex. 

Rick99 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I bought some northwave hammer cx shoes for the winter . Only spd but SOOO much better than shoe /over shoe combo. They have a neoprene cuff at the top and tongue where you need it but don't feel like wetsuit boots .

dunnoh | 8 years ago
0 likes

The best winter overshoes so far are from endura.  I have the bbb ones as they were cheaper. However they let more water in.  My best waterproof gloves are from altrua.  

flyingpitman | 8 years ago
0 likes

@fenix   I run my sleeves over the top of my gloves.Well I did till I gave the gloves away.The mate I gave the gloves too has also stopped using them in the rain, as he found same problem.Even a camel couldn't sweat as much as the water that came out of them.As for water running into my shoes,sorry but it doesn't.I wear Pearl Izumi Elite Amfib bib tights,they have a gaskit that comes over the top of the shoe cover stopping rain running into them.The flashing light as I said is a great idea.Just wished when they say waterproof they would mean it.I tried some BBB ones out today and had about 30 minutes in rain,but roads were still flooded in places,my feet were bone dry.Sealskinz stuff might be ok for walkers but for me I will never have anything by them again.I cycle over 8,000 miles a year and want my gear to be good.

fenix | 8 years ago
0 likes

The problem is you have two great holes in any overshoe where you put your feet in. Your legs get wet and water runs down.

Wet feet are inevitable. Either from that or just sweat building up inside the shoe.

If you don't use mudguards then it is really hopeless. Too much spray.

I've sealskin gloves - theyre properly water proof. Great for sponging the bike down after a ride. They don't let any water in.

Either water is running in down the sleeves - are you running the jacket over the cuffs - or its just sweat building up again.

Batchy replied to fenix | 8 years ago
0 likes

fenix wrote:

The problem is you have two great holes in any overshoe where you put your feet in. Your legs get wet and water runs down. Wet feet are inevitable. Either from that or just sweat building up inside the shoe. If you don't use mudguards then it is really hopeless. Too much spray. I've sealskin gloves - theyre properly water proof. Great for sponging the bike down after a ride. They don't let any water in. Either water is running in down the sleeves - are you running the jacket over the cuffs - or its just sweat building up again.

No . Water just pissed in through everywhere on the gloves. A mate of mine also had a pair and he said that his were about as useful as a chocolate fire guard too. This was about 7 or 8 years ago. Waterproof. That's what it said on the label. Obviously they lied !

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yep ! I once bought some Sealskin " water proof" gloves . Big mistake ?

I have gone through at least 7 or 8 pairs of overshoes during the last decade. Some have been better than others but unfortunately practically all of them wear round the bottom edges in no time at all. Annoyingly the top parts always look good enough to last several seasons but the overshoes have to be binned . However I' ve just bought some very snazzy fluorescent yellow BBB ones and despite them being fairly lightweight they have perform ed brilliantly with no signs of wear after six outings so far. They may not be warm enough in very cold conditions but for moderate winter conditions they are spot on and can be seen for miles around. The best thing is that they can be bought at Ribble for around £16 !

PonteD | 8 years ago
0 likes

I gave up on shoe covers pretty quickly and bought some winter boots instead. I still get wet feet but at least my feet are warm, the boots have lasted longer than a week and I'm not wasting time at each end of my ride struggling to fit/remove my covers.

flyingpitman | 8 years ago
0 likes

I agree with you Del73 regarding the seal skinz ones.I have the ones with the flashing light on the back.It's  a  great idea but I don't want it to come on sitting in a cafe for no reason lol.Plus they are not waterproof.Infact All the seal skinz stuff people have bought me for xmas,and birthdays have been rubbish.I include a belgian style hat,gloves,and now overshoes.The hat soaks up the water, and the cuff at the back then feels like you have soggy towel on your neck,the gloves hold the water from inside to out.I tipped mine upside down and the water came out.I have told my family to please never buy me anything from sealskinz again.

So I too am on the look out for a pair of waterproof overshoes.I know with the bibs like Castelli nanoflex water just beeds up and runs,hence they go into your shoes.Now I put belgian booties over my shoes and then the overshoes onto them.I then zip my bibs over the overshoes.Pearl Izumi have a great idea with their Elite Amfib tights,they have a flap that comes over the overshoes.I am after a pair of these and will report back on how good /bad they are when I get them.

peted76 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm in the market for a new set of overshoes and I'm struggling to be honest.

Forum advice wanted please!

I know what I DON'T want. I don't want a pair of neoprene overshoes, I've got a pair of deep winter Polar Overshoes and I find the feel of them horrid (like I'm peddling in wellies).

...And I don't want a pair of those, what can only be described as condoms for shoes as they look; 1) like they'd sufforcate my feet 2) cold

I currently have a pair of plastic'ish overshoes, I wear them over the top of some thermoroubaix (?) toe covers, they are easy to get on and off, not restrictive wind and waterproof on the top (obvs not underneath as such) however they soon 'holed' and despite stitching and re-stiching they've shredded after a couple of seasons. 

I don't expect miracles, I rarely ride in downpours, I'd just like a pair that felt a bit warmer in winter and don't feel like wellies.

I feel that someone somewhere is missing a trick with overshoes, there MUST be better fabric or design our there which would solve 'everyone who cycles in inclement weather' problem with their feet.

Any recommendations?

Also the cost of these things can be outrageous, I don't mind paying £40 for a good pair but anything above that and I may as well spend the money better on a pair of specific winter shoes for about a £100

dave atkinson | 8 years ago
0 likes

any chance you can give us a bit more information about what you've used? not sure exactly what we need to 'sort out' otherwise

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

maybe because your leg goes into the boot/ shoe it is just inevitable that your feet will get wet?

Latest Comments