Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fix punctured inner tubes or throw away? (700C)

Speaking to a few riders, a bit of a debate comes up!

Some throw away punctured 700C inner tubes, stating they don't hold high psi for road use and blow etc.

Some riders keep the inner tube to patch up but say they don't hold high psi -only get you home.

I repair my mtb 26" tubes easily and they are fine.

When iget a road puncture I just swap tubes on the roadside and have 2 tubes at home to patch...

Throw away or Patch?

(Recycle would be nice too)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Zaskar | 13 years ago
0 likes

Cheers Guys and Gals,

I always patch my mtb tubes no probs and was going to throw away my punctured road tube.

I had advice years ago from a bike shop whne buying puncture repaur kit to throw away punctured road tubes as they don't hold pressure (Haven't had a roadbike puncture for years luckily).

Was gutted as I had a puncture and thought one for the bin till a few riding buds said fix it (while I worked my new tube in).

I'll give it a try and hope it holds at high pressure 110psi.

Don't really want to have extra waste buried in the ground either.

demoff | 13 years ago
0 likes

Once patched I pump them up overnight as a double check. Never had a problem with them not holding pressure. Normally get shut after three patches.

james-o | 13 years ago
0 likes

i agree with cat1 and matt, good fixing methods work fine ands i regularly ride with 3 or 4 patches on a 23c road tube at 100psi with no problems. got 6 on the rear of my 'cross bike at the moment!

binning after one easily-repaired thorn flat is a waste of resources.. and some riders don't like to admit they can't repair a tube properly  3

cat1commuter | 13 years ago
0 likes

In my experience tubes repaired with vulcanising solution (glue) + patch type kits are indistinguishable in air retention from unpatched tubes.

Self adhesive patch kits, on the other hand, are all useless.

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

both.

mattbianchi | 13 years ago
0 likes

must be some people out there not fixin 'em properly  4

i've got 700c tubes with five or more patches on them that hold their pressure just fine.

the trick for me is to make sure you don't skimp on the sanding and get the glue layer SUPER thin, so it basically dries almost immediately. it's all about the preparation of the surface, get that right and the patched bit should be stronger than the rest of the tube

Latest Comments