Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fed up of rain, time to fit your m'guards/fenders?

What's your choice?

I'll trying my old Giant road bike mud guards/fenders or Crud catchers for road bikes.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Fish_n_Chips | 8 years ago
0 likes

Lol@code.  

I wouldn't use my sportif bike in bad weather and wear out the drive-chain etc and it's cheaper for some to haves wet/winter cheaper bike.

(I wouldn't care if I was a multimillionaire.)

Cheaper to use my turbo trainer.  Something about being outside that kills the turbo trainer experience.

Giant Speedshield Defy actually fitted to my old Trek 1200 winter bike. Have not tried the universal yet.

Sorry about the typo - blame my thumbs on tiny phone.

Daveyraveygravey replied to Fish_n_Chips | 8 years ago
1 like

Fish_n_Chips wrote:

Lol@code.  

I wouldn't want to use my sportif bike and wear out the drive-chain etc and it's cheaper for some to haves wet/winter cheaper bike.

I wouldn't not care if I was a multimillionaire.

Cheaper to use my turbo trainer.  Something about being outside that kills the turbo trainer experience.

Giant Speedshield Defy actually fitted to my old Trek 1200 winter bike. Have not tried the universal yet.

If I had money, I'd have  a winter bike, probably some CX thing with disc brakes and wide grippy winter tyres, and mudguards.

Not having the money, I just get on with it.  I am lucky in that I don't have to ride if it is raining, so can avoid the worst of it.  Also lucky in that down on the south coast, it doesn't actually rain all that often, although the roads do stay wet for a long time.

But I think a lot of folks make more out of the winter and bad conditions than is necessary.  On another forum, someone said he had discs because he "didn't want to replace his wheels every year" !  Really?  Is he using cardboard wheels?!  I ride about 5,000 miles a year, so need a new chain and cassette annually anyway.  If you clean your bike after a soaking, they don't just disintegrate having spent 3-4 months in less than perfect weather.

Kapelmuur | 8 years ago
1 like

If the roads are wet or there's rain forecast I ride a bike fitted with 'guards, regardless of the season.

If it's dry I ride a bike without 'guards.

I've never understoof the summer/winter bike thing.

userfriendly replied to Kapelmuur | 8 years ago
1 like

Kapelmuur wrote:

If the roads are wet or there's rain forecast I ride a bike fitted with 'guards, regardless of the season.

If it's dry I ride a bike without 'guards.

I've never understoof the summer/winter bike thing.

It's code. "Summer" == "dry roads", "winter" == "wet roads".

It also happens to be wet more often during the winter.

MattEdd | 8 years ago
1 like

I've just fitted some Giant Speedshield Universals to my Defy after a soaking on Friday.  Faffy, ugly things but I won't have a wet arse next weekend. 

Ratfink | 8 years ago
1 like

After getting fed up getting a wet backside this week i yesterday bought a pair of sks commuter guards.

Spent ages faffing about fitting them including hacksawing the front stays,removing the brake calipers etc.

I was amused to notice on the packaging today "mounted in seconds".

Simon E | 8 years ago
1 like

Giant SCR has a Crud Roadracer II on the front and 6 y/o Tortec full length on the back. Not the prettiest mix but does an excellent job.

matthewn5 | 8 years ago
1 like

I've been using Crud Road Racer 2s for about 2 1/2 years now. They need a bit of fettling and maintenance, but they're  worth it. Proper protection for you and your bike.

userfriendly | 8 years ago
1 like

Fitted the Curana C-Lite to my best bike a few weeks ago. They're not as long as the SKS ones, but good enough to protect bum, drive train, and feet. They also look ace and are very light-weight.

That, in combination with the No-Rain bib tights, the Hardshell jacket, neoprene overshoes, water- & windproof gloves and under-helmet cycling cap, and the Scottish winter can kiss my German arse!

Latest Comments