Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Should I change my Shimano crank to a BB30 one?

Greetings,

last BB creaking problem makes me think about replacing my Shimano 105 5800 HT crank with a native BB30 one. The problem is, people consider 5800 crankset to be very good and apparently none could be got in a similar price point. I basically have two options: either buying an expensive BB30 crankset or keep mine and use it with an adapter (which basically negates the point of having BB30). What do you think?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Hit the Deck | 8 years ago
0 likes

Actually I'm not really sure about what the practical advantage of BB30 is but the crank's Q-factor, among other things, should be smaller if I understand it correctly. Also, I just want to not use an adaptor but then again, I don't know which crankset/chainring works best with Shimano chain and FD.  

timskytoo | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm usure of what you think the point of oversized BBs is. I bought a new frame with a PF30 shell and wanted to use a 6800 chainset so I used 24mm axle comaptible bearing made by Hope. Both Hope and Wheels Manufacturing make excellent Shimano compatible bearings for oversized BBs.

Latest Comments