Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin Virb XE crap or just crap user?

I've got a Virb XE with the cycling bundle for my birthday on the first and I've still not managed to use it properly.

Records for a few seconds and then says the memory card is full (this is the standard class 10 16gb card that came with it).

Sent it back to garmin, got another one, same thing.

Anyone else have this thing and experienced the same, or am I being rather dimwitted and just can't use it properly? Card has been formatted, it's empty etc.

Camera also locks up when you try and then stop recording after the error message.

Garmin have requested it back for examination, but I'm not holding much hope.

Is the answer just to get a go-pro??

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

carrotman | 7 years ago
0 likes

Apologies for bumping an old post, but as the Garmin VIRB Edit software allows you to take any action cam video and link it to the Garmin metrics you can go for the "best of both worlds" with a GoPro camera and Garmin Edge... some basic examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXjIFjzy1Fk 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LS1jUw_fAk

Jeroen0110 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just as an update in case anyone's interested...

just got it back (they said they tested the actual unit this time instead of just replacing it) and they said they forced a firmware update and it all works. 

Well it still doesn't. The date is wrong, the metrics don't match up to the right bit of video (unless I'm going 40km/h even when standing still) and the garmin express software can't find the unit to supposedly run an update as it's magically detected it's out of date. 

So over two months, sent it back 3x, and all that time it's been with me for under a week - they've had it longer than I have. 

the thing still doesn't work. I've asked for my money back now, I'm buying something that works. Go Pro perhaps?!

Any other other recommendations?

Jeroen0110 | 8 years ago
0 likes

returned 3x, waiting on a 4th actually working one. I haven't recorded more than a minute worth of action and I've owned it for 7 weeks, of which I've actually had one in my possession for 3 days. Ridiculous.  Rant rant rant, don't buy anything from Garmin rant rant rant!

Jeroen0110 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I sent the second one back a week ago, not heard anything. It's nearly a month now since my birthday and I've still not used the bloody thing. Fed up with it already.

I tried those cheap ebay £30-50 cameras where you had to edit the text file to change the settings, they were crap too, couldn't make them work either.

So in summary, there is no camera on the planet that actually works for me... how do people do it? I used to be in the IT sector so I don't think I'm technologically challenged...

edbully365 | 8 years ago
0 likes

<p>Having similar experience - usually big fan of Garmin stuff. &nbsp;Virb edit will not work with camera also. &nbsp; Shame really.</p>

Jeroen0110 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've just sent back the second one, memory card and all. I was expecting it to work out of the box, is that a big ask these days??

the battery life seemed rubbish as well, cut out after about an hour - it said somewhere it was meant to last three hours, what's your batt life like?

Jeroen0110 | 8 years ago
0 likes

It has internal memory?

Marauder replied to Jeroen0110 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Jeroen0110 wrote:

It has internal memory?

I don't know TBH just thought it might be something to look into.

Redvee replied to Jeroen0110 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Jeroen0110 wrote:

It has internal memory?

No. Just took the card out of mine and the displayed "No Card" and recording won't happen.

Have you tried a different microSDHC card?

Marauder | 8 years ago
0 likes

I wonder if the camera is trying to save to some internal memory instead of the memory card.

You could raise a support case with Garmin for some advice if no further forward.

Normally get a response within 48 hours or so.

Latest Comments