Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Year round sunscreen

I've never been too worried about burning but would use sunscreen in the summer, when and if it gets hot in the UK. Meanwhile I commute 25mins most days but even in the high summer it is normally not hot in the morning again so I wouldn't bother. I am not saying I am getting burnt, I know when and what times of year I can burn, but I do get a light tan from regular riding.

However this year I have noticed some little triangles on the peak of my cheekbones that are looking a little redder. I've taken to putting a tiny smear of sunscreen under my eyes most days. Cycling might be keeping me alive and I don't want to fuss over this, but I don't want my face to look like a gentleman's coin purse.  Luckily (or not) my face is as fat as Chris Boardman's so wrinkles aren't too much of a problem. I just don't fancy melanoma [£$%& that!]

Anyone else got some tips or say what they do? Anyone try zinc cream like a cricketer or is it just too stupid looking? Or stick to a little winter/daily schmeer?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

mrmo | 8 years ago
0 likes

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/vitamin-d-deficiency

something to consider if you cover up too much.

TheFatAndTheFurious | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you just want a bit of extra protection, look in Boots for Simple day creams - they have SPF15 and aren't stupid expensive. 

I use it after shaving and before heading out on the bike. 

Leviathan | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm just being paranoid. Its just a bit of colour. 

Was just interest to see how many 0 reply threads there were and see i anyone was commenting. I think the board nearly died for a few days. Some changes back seem to be happening.

Maybe we were being punished for one too many Helmet debates.

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes

I am a ginger so burn faster than a piece of dry toast held up to the fire in Satan's own kitchen. However, I find no issues if I'm sensible and avoid spending too long in peak sun in midsummer (a distant memory now we're half way through October  ).

I don't think that having 'a bit of colour' in your cheeks is likely to lead to melanoma. Are you sure these triangles are caused by UV from sunlight?

Latest Comments