Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rapha Hardshell vs Pro Team Softshell

Thanks to the all too premature death of the "recent comments" box, and its obvious consequence of new comments on older reviews having very little if any chance now of getting replies, please forgive me for being so cheeky and starting a forum topic with the questions that I had put under the Hardshell review the other day.

Am I correct in thinking that the Rapha Hardshell and the new Pro Team Softshell are aimed at different temperatures / weather conditions? I'm looking for a rain defying jacket/jersey to get me through the Scottish winter. I've got the Winter Jersey, which is great for temps down to the low single digits, except it gets soaking wet relatively quickly in the rain.

Which one is more "breathable" / less boil-in-the-bag? I usually tend to ride reasonably fast, and I live in a relatively hilly area.

And is the Hardshell as close a fit as the Pro Team Softshell? I'm normally a size Small with Rapha, but had to send the Pro Team Softshell back as it was too restrictive (I've also had two people tell me they had to go up a size on that one). Now waiting till they get new stock of the size Medium (Mid November), but am wondering if I shouldn't go for the Hardshell instead (small or medium?)

Cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

bendertherobot | 8 years ago
0 likes

The hardshell sizes normally. But size up for getting a layer underneath. I had one and it was excellent. Very waterproof and breathable. But not for tempo rides. Better, IMO, as a commuter.

I've just got a Madison Apex Race jacket which is lighter but which I prefer. And cheaper.

Do NOT get the Pro Team Softshell. The only disappointing Rapha product I ever bought. Not as water "proof" as the Gabba. And freezing when wet. Absolutely freezing.

userfriendly replied to bendertherobot | 8 years ago
0 likes

bendertherobot wrote:

The hardshell sizes normally. But size up for getting a layer underneath. I had one and it was excellent. Very waterproof and breathable. But not for tempo rides. Better, IMO, as a commuter.

I've just got a Madison Apex Race jacket which is lighter but which I prefer. And cheaper.

Do NOT get the Pro Team Softshell. The only disappointing Rapha product I ever bought. Not as water "proof" as the Gabba. And freezing when wet. Absolutely freezing.

Nice one, thanks. Yeah, I went with the Hardshell over the Pro Team Softshell in the end, and I don't think I'll need both. For the "summer" (if you can call it that here) I think I'll be looking at the Gabba.

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
1 like

I have the rapha hardshell-  genuinely waterproof and surprisingly breatheable.  I think the truth is that if it is raining hard and you are riding hard you are always going to be a bit damp, either from rain getting in, or sweat getting out.  The hardshell is very good if you tend toward the latter, not the former.  As I think you should if it is cold as well as wet.

userfriendly replied to rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

rjfrussell wrote:

I have the rapha hardshell-  genuinely waterproof and surprisingly breatheable.  I think the truth is that if it is raining hard and you are riding hard you are always going to be a bit damp, either from rain getting in, or sweat getting out.  The hardshell is very good if you tend toward the latter, not the former.  As I think you should if it is cold as well as wet.

Excellent, thank you. Think I'm going to give the Hardshell a try.  1 At least they have them in stock. What's the sizing like?

BBRAP | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have a hardshell and a softshell (not the specific makes though).  The hardshell is fine if its raining hard for a ride of up to about an hour. After that it gets very boil in the bag (more clammy than boily I would say) if you are going at any pace. I tend to ride a bit slower when its raining as I spend most of my time just trying to stay upright.  The softshell is great for keeping warm but only keeps the rain at bay for a very limited period. If I get caught out in a downpour I keep going, stopping once it has got wet is pretty horrible as it seems to chill down rather quickly.  Being a soft east anglian and not having to experience Scottish winters I'd probably work out some sort of layering system with a fully waterproof outer for the nasty stuff.

userfriendly replied to BBRAP | 8 years ago
0 likes

BBRAP wrote:

I have a hardshell and a softshell (not the specific makes though).  The hardshell is fine if its raining hard for a ride of up to about an hour. After that it gets very boil in the bag (more clammy than boily I would say) if you are going at any pace. I tend to ride a bit slower when its raining as I spend most of my time just trying to stay upright.  The softshell is great for keeping warm but only keeps the rain at bay for a very limited period. If I get caught out in a downpour I keep going, stopping once it has got wet is pretty horrible as it seems to chill down rather quickly.  Being a soft east anglian and not having to experience Scottish winters I'd probably work out some sort of layering system with a fully waterproof outer for the nasty stuff.

Yeah, I've currently got a lightweight rain jacket (dhb eVent) that I can stuff into the large back pocket of a jersey. But it's a bit annoying and doesn't leave me with space for other things in there.

So I was looking for something I can wear instead of the Winter Jersey - something warm yet breathable, but also offering rain protection. The Pro Team Softshell seemed to fit the bill at first, but I'm not sure it's warm enough. The Rapha Hardshell seems to be good for temperatures down to the low single digits or even lower according to various reviews, but I'm not sure if it's as good in the rain as the Pro Team Softshell which has been made specifically for that.

Maybe I just get both. 

monty dog | 8 years ago
0 likes

Can't comment on the specifics of either jacket in question, but I've not found a hardshell that copes with prolonged, high-intensity use - I'd rather be slightly damp and warm whereas most hardshells offer limited ability to keep warm.

Latest Comments