Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Ooooooo shiny! New website :)

Looks great, well done all!  A serious amount of work must have gone into the changes.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

Mombee | 8 years ago
1 like

Before you updated the site, I was visiting Road.cc at least once a day, often more frequently... first visit was to see what new articles had appeared, but it was also easy to see new comments on the forum and in response to articles... all part of a dynamic cycling community.

As with any niche news site,  you don't post a large numbers of articles, so... now that it's difficult to see the dynamic stuff being posted against content... I'm finding that I can drop by every couple of days to see if you've got a new article, which is a significant reduction in my traffic. Multiply that the rest of the community and you've demolished your site's main internet credentials. I think that you (and your advertisers) will have real issues in the next few months as this drop in traffic is reflected in search engine ratings.

Just a thought.

CygnusX1 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Overall like the new site, but I have a couple of gripes. Here's my two penneth worth...

1. Subscription to comments - Needs a default account level setting. 

I don't want to have to disable each time I comment on a story/forum thread.  Tedious and disinsentevises comments, I want to waste time at work reading the latest flame war on the helmet debate not deleting 200 spam emails telling me there's been 200 posts since mine  1

2. Ordering of comments - Default to oldest comment first

We like to read top down in chronological order.

Man of Lard | 8 years ago
1 like

Where does one get to set default preferences like "don't subscribe me to a thread just because I replied to it"?

This is getting to be really quite irritating.

userfriendly | 8 years ago
0 likes

ublock origin - free, available for all major browsers, and works wonders.

If road.cc think pushy, epileptic fit inducing ads are the way to go ... well. I'm not having them.

levermonkey | 8 years ago
0 likes

surpriseRight! Starting to get really pissed off now!

Shove the adverts to one side! I've got four adverts, all the same, where I would expect to find links to articles.

That Lezyne advert is really starting to get on my tits. I am thinking of investing in some new lights - they WILL NOT be Lezyne!surprise

balmybaldwin | 8 years ago
1 like

All I can say is it's taken me nearly 20 minutes to get this page to load in a way I can work out where to type.

I use the site on Firefox (Windows 10), IE 11 (Work), and Safari on Android.

It looks horrendous on all my devices. Pictures in an article all stack on top of each other at the top. Minutes after loading the page randomly reorganises itself.
Menu options just don't work or fail to load, and links appear to have left the widely accepted default of changing a cursor into a hand.

A more hideous user experience couldn't be achieved if you tried.

A real shame as I used to enjoy a lot of the content on road.cc... now I can barely get to any of it.

Might try again in a week.

balmybaldwin | 8 years ago
1 like

All I can say is it's taken me nearly 20 minutes to get this page to load in a way I can work out where to type.

I use the site on Firefox (Windows 10), IE 11 (Work), and Safari on Android.

It looks horrendous on all my devices. Pictures in an article all stack on top of each other at the top. Minutes after loading the page randomly reorganises itself.
Menu options just don't work or fail to load, and links appear to have left the widely accepted default of changing a cursor into a hand.

A more hideous user experience couldn't be achieved if you tried.

A real shame as I used to enjoy a lot of the content on road.cc... now I can barely get to any of it.

Might try again in a week.

BigAl68 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I don't like it on a desktop or on a mobile device and where has the latest comments etc gone.... I will pop back in a week or two to see if it gets better

DaveE128 | 8 years ago
4 likes

The flashing Lezyne adverts are sufficiently annoying that I am thinking twice before visiting the site.  2

joules1975 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Site looks great, but scrolling on ipad is screwed up a bit. If you scroll and the touch the screen again before it's finished moving up/down (whether to continue scrolling or stop at particular point) it jumps back to where you started scrolling from. Really annoying!

levermonkey | 8 years ago
3 likes

I appear to already like 6 of the comments and this is my first visit to this thread. I have noticed the same issue on other threads.

I also would like the default to be 'Oldest First' and the reinstatement of the 'Recent Comments' box. The adverts are also intrusive. Other than these gripes I quite like the new site.

userfriendly replied to levermonkey | 8 years ago
5 likes

levermonkey wrote:

I also would like the default to be 'Oldest First' and the reinstatement of the 'Recent Comments' box. The adverts are also intrusive. Other than these gripes I quite like the new site.

Yes. All of the above. Especially the "recent comments" box, seeing how new comments on older reviews have very little if any chance of getting replies now.

Username | 8 years ago
0 likes

Safari 9 on the Mac. 

When I click a 'like' button the page jumps to the top.

brooksby | 8 years ago
2 likes

(Edit) Sorry but I don't like it- safari keeps crashing on my iPhone and firefox keeps crashing in the office; the site takes longer to load, too.  If this is it, I may have to take my pageviews elsewhere.

James Warrener | 8 years ago
4 likes

Is there a way to default forum to oldest reply first rather than change on each thread. 

James Warrener | 8 years ago
0 likes

I really like the layout... sure there might be some teething issues. 

Mombee | 8 years ago
2 likes

Definitely shiny, but does feel like a case of style over substance, which has to be an issue a news & information based website. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to offer the easy routes into the information that consumers want... however, maybe that's just me, and I would hope that your web team have poured over the traffic stats from the last year and done a thorough analysis on where people are going for information... I can only hope that they haven't biased this towards the 50% of people who land on the front page via Google and never bother to read the content, rather than the 50% who come to the site and spend time reading the content.

colin267 | 8 years ago
0 likes

. . . . and another thing - I do most of my browsing on an iPad and there are no legends to the right of 'road.cc' in the title bar. Hence, to access the forums you have to scroll to the bottom of the page to get to the 'Sections' bit.  Really useful!

Oli Pendrey replied to colin267 | 8 years ago
0 likes

colin267 wrote:

. . . . and another thing - I do most of my browsing on an iPad and there are no legends to the right of 'road.cc' in the title bar. Hence, to access the forums you have to scroll to the bottom of the page to get to the 'Sections' bit.  Really useful!

Hi Colin, when browsing on mobile devices there's now a menu icon that appears to the left of the main road.cc logo, click on this and you'll get a pop out nav with all the usual options.

colin267 replied to Oli Pendrey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Oli Pendrey wrote:

colin267 wrote:

Hi Colin, when browsing on mobile devices there's now a menu icon that appears to the left of the main road.cc logo, click on this and you'll get a pop out nav with all the usual options.

Oli, tried that earlier but it doesn't do anything on my iPad Air 2 (iOS9 installed).

. . | 8 years ago
0 likes

Oh, and sorting the bike forum by Last Reply doesn't work. The order seems more or less random.

edit: I've just realised there are a pile of sticky posts at the top.   They need to be flagged as sticky so we know to ignore them

. . | 8 years ago
11 likes

Please can the comments default to "Oldest first"?

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Don't know what you are looking at Tom, but it is truely awful and I mean truely.

All replies are in a tiny font that is barely readable. All that the change seems to have done is turn it into some advertising mega site. It's crap

crikey | 8 years ago
4 likes

The lack of a 'recent comments' pane allied to the rubbish set up for the forum is crap.

Look at STW for an example of a good, easy to use, busy forum.

Latest Comments