Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giant Defy Advanced 1 vs Defy Advanced Pro 2

Hi folks, I'm looking at my first road bike after many many years on a mountain bike. As I'm mid 40s and no interest in racing I'm looking at Sportive bikes. I've settled on the Defy. I'm torn between the 2015 Pro 2 and the 2015 Advanced 1. The 1 is £150-200 cheaper, comes with Ultegra, the Pro 2 has the larger carbon steerer on the fork, lighter seat post and posh saddle, with 105. Am I going to notice that fork? Is there a compelling weight difference? In short, Adv1 or Pro2.

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

zerolight | 8 years ago
0 likes

Ordered the 2015 Pro 2. Coming Monday!  4

zerolight | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. I'll push for the Pro then.  1

hampstead_bandit | 8 years ago
0 likes

Advanced pro no doubt. Forget the bolted on bits (they are replaced as they wear), the big difference is the full carbon fork (big weight saving) and oversized 1.5 front end - makes a big difference to handling and gives the ADV pro a real tight race bike feeling when cranking hard or dropping into corners, also when really hauling on the brake

The seatposts on the ADV pro has infinite angle adjust and allows fine tuning of saddle angle, the cheaper post has ritchey style serrated clamp with single bolt and you may find saddle hard to "level"

Poptart242 replied to hampstead_bandit | 8 years ago
0 likes
hampstead_bandit wrote:

The seatposts on the ADV pro has infinite angle adjust and allows fine tuning of saddle angle, the cheaper post has ritchey style serrated clamp with single bolt and you may find saddle hard to "level"

Amen on that, the seatpost clamp is a pure 'mare for me. I'm positive that I just need 1 or 2 degrees more nose down but no chance is it happening with that. And with the post being D shaped, there's no chance of simply buying a more adjustable replacement.

zerolight replied to Poptart242 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Poptart242 wrote:
hampstead_bandit wrote:

Amen on that, the seatpost clamp is a pure 'mare for me. I'm positive that I just need 1 or 2 degrees more nose down but no chance is it happening with that. And with the post being D shaped, there's no chance of simply buying a more adjustable replacement.

You could buy the ADV Pro seatpost to sort your bum out?

http://www.giantbikespares.com/Giant-Carbon-D-Fuse-Seatpost--Advanced--P...

Poptart242 replied to zerolight | 8 years ago
0 likes
zerolight wrote:

You could buy the ADV Pro seatpost to sort your bum out?

http://www.giantbikespares.com/Giant-Carbon-D-Fuse-Seatpost--Advanced--P...

Can't believe I hadn't thought of it to be honest!

Will just leave it now as I'm changing bikes for next year but if I was keeping that would be in my shopping basket as we speak. Cheers!

Latest Comments