Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cassette Change - Chain Slack

I just recently changed my cassette on my bike from a 11-28 to an 11-32. I asked in the local bike shop whether i would need a long cage derailleur for the change and they told me I wouldn't. Now I've noticed if I'm in the smaller cog and not pedalling the chain becomes slack? not a lot but it's got me confused  39

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

B screw adjustable. Generally you don't need to worry too much going from 28t to 32t

VeloUSA | 8 years ago
0 likes

Suggest you check for chain stretch as chain length for 11-28 & 11-32 cassettes are the same. Also interesting is you're not getting cage rub against the lager rear cog.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

A practical method to see if chain is too long or short

When on the small ring on the front and the small gear on the cassette, the derailleur should still be applying a little tension on the bottom run of the chain.

Now when on the big ring on the front and big ring on the back, the derailleur shouldn't be fully stretched forward.

Now your setup, going from 28 to 32 will not induce slack in the chain unless a longer chain was fitted. It sounds like it's normal, just check the derailleur has a little bit of tension and hasn't run out of play

Latest Comments