Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Colnago advice

So the spousal unit has given me permission to get another road bike and just in time to take advantage of the summer inventory clearance deals. My summer ride is a Pinarello Marvel with Ultegra mech groupo and while it's lively with great handling and very stable descending, it can get a bit uncomfortable on longer rides (over 50 miles). I do a mix of solo and group rides but am not a speed fiend and don't race. My preferred routes include hills and views although I do quite a bit of urban riding so maneuverability and taking tight turns are usually standard fare. I average around 80 miles a week with about 4-5000 ft of climbing. Does anyone have experience with the Colnago CLX or CX Zero/Colnago's endurance frames? I can get 20-40% off deals on them and I've always read about how well engineered and nicely they ride .... Cheers and thanks for sharing your expertise!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Yogic Cyclist | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have the CX zero Nero and the C60. 

I had the CX Zero as a frameset so I could build the bike I wanted. I have to sat that the CX zero is such an underrated bike it beggars belief. It's nice and stiff yet supremely comfortable, climbs like a mountain goat and descends like an excocet missile. I really don't understand why Colnago have never pushed it, however I think they have realised their mistake as currently they are doing a CX zero picture spread on their Facebook page, asking for pictures. If you want a comfortable fast head turning ride then the CX zero, my advice though purchase the frameset as the stock bikes just look poor and maybe that's the problem?

the C60.... That's all that needs to be said.

movingtarget | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the info guys. Went round to both of the Colnago dealers in town but unfortunately they didn't have anything in my size to test. I have however been seduced by the siren's call of a titanium endurance frame (Sadly not Moots as I don't have a trust fund, but No. 22, designed in Canada and handbuilt in New York with the most beautiful welds). Now just have to somehow convince the better half that the n+1 bike really has to cost an additional $2000 ...  39

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

Ive had a clx 2.0, clx 3.0 (mech shifting and 2 clx 3.0 (electronic shifting) in the past and now have a C60 and C59 so i know my colnago's quite well

They are good solid bikes, no annoying rattles, little weighty but very strong and stable, you may want to change a few things like the deda bars and stem (they used to have fsa as a finishing kit)

The full Ultegra version comes with fulcrum racing 5's which are not too bad (1650 grams)

The CLX comes in sloping sizes so a 54s (s=sloping) is more like a traditional 58cm frame, so what ever size you are in a traditional frame take off 4cm to find out your colnago size

Tinternet_tim | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi, I have a CLX3 and really like it, however my experience of other bikes in a similar price range are limited so I can't offer a comparison.
Mine is a 2012 model, don't think they have changed greatly since then

A few Cons and Pros

Cons:
The shimano wheels are slow and heavy, I changed to some campags and it transformed the bike
The were a few imperfections in the paint. Nothing major, just a couple of minor marks. You'd not notice unless I pointed them out (spotted them when cleaning)
Not to everyones taste in terms of looks. It doesn't look like a weight weenie with skiny chain stays.
Not the lightest in the world, but not a slouch. The standard bike was over 8kg and this is for a 45cm frame (the frame is sloping so doesn't translate to most other manuactures, think its about a 50cm in others.

Pro's
No rattles, feels really solid
Extremely stable at speed
Once the wheels, saddle and few other bits changes, the weight is not 7.3kg
Rare and have had some nice comments froms others who haven't seen 1 before. I like the look and like the fact that it is a bit unusual
Climbs with ease since wheel change. No flex that I can notice.

Hope that helps, if you have any other questions then let me know

Pro

Latest Comments