Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Waterproof bib tights

Hi guys - I'm looking for some waterproof bib tights for the winter. I know there are various water resistant tights out there but I'm really looking for fully waterproof ones which I can pull over my waterproof socks thus keeping my feet dry (in theory)! Any ideas? Do they even exist?? Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

monty dog | 8 years ago
0 likes

Endura Stealth tights are totally waterproof - got the Lite version as the regular ones have fleecy lining more suited to sub-zero. Stiffer fabric means they do feel odd and less suited to high-intensity road cycling but better for commuting or up-to-your-shins-in-filth MTB rides.

Sniffer | 8 years ago
0 likes

I agree about winter boots. So much better than sumer shoes with shoecovers and trying to block up ventilation holes.

Al__S | 8 years ago
0 likes

They're not perfect, being defeated by downpours running down your legs and soaking into your socks, but I treated myself to a pair of Northwave Artic waterproof boots last winter. They're ace. Far superior to overshoes- no leaks on the bottom, no zips to fail, no struggling to get them on etc. Available in a three-bolt version.

CGT | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've got these: http://www.rideworld.co.uk/product/ride-2014-aqua-zero-bibtights/

Keep me dry regardless of the rain. I do the same as you're suggesting - put them on over some Sealskinz. Shoes get wet but I stay dry.

Man of Lard | 8 years ago
0 likes

I sealed up my cleat holes with silicone bathroom sealant - as for splashing getting into the tops of overshoes - what about a pair of gaiters?

Strathbean replied to Man of Lard | 8 years ago
0 likes

Get a pair of black marigolds and cut the cuff sections off, home-made gaiters, works a treat.

MarcMyWords | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys - What I find is that overshoes are fine but you get into a downpour and water flicks up from the ground into the cleat holes or runs down your legs straight into your feet! I know you generally just have to put up with wet feet when cycling but just thinking could I get some waterproof tights, put them over my waterproof socks and then I'll get wet shoes but not wet feet... I've had waterproof trousers but find they get a bit sweaty. Perhaps waterproof tights would be exactly the same.

Strathbean replied to MarcMyWords | 8 years ago
0 likes

OP - I went along a similar train of thought, tried a few things and came to the conclusion that its inevitable that you will get wet feet, if its not from water ingress, its from sweat caused by having warm gear on and being sealed up.

My heavy rain wardrobe improved a lot when i tried defeet's excellent woolieboolie socks. They are still warm when wet and I often get home to discover my feet are actually soaked, but i didnt even realise as they are still toasty.

Strathbean | 8 years ago
0 likes

They don't exist in my experience.
There are a few that have fancy sounding coatings that make water roll off initially, but after a few washes (and after the magazine reviews) the coatings all wear off and you have a normal pair of bibtights.
Happy to be corrected on this, but I've tried a few brands and always found this to be the case.

As above, money is best spent on mudguards, overshoes and warm socks first. When looking for decent winter tights, I suggest to concentrate on warmth (when wet as well as dry) and windproofing, try and get ones with stretchy ankles and a zipper too, so they can be put over the top of overshoes instead of funnelling all the spray into your shoes! That is why I still wear my no-longer-water-resistant fiandre no-rain bibs, the ankle design is good.

If you are dead-set on waterproofing your lower half, look into waterproof trousers rather than tights as goretex is the only thing that stands a chance of working, as above, overheating then becomes an issue. Showers Pass make close fitting ones, but never tried them. Gore alp-x gt shorts are great, I have them if I need to go out in awful weather, not too flappy and completely waterproof.

thesaladdays | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you're worried about your feet then I'd look into overshoes rather than waterproof big tights. No idea if they exist, but it sounds like a one-way ticket to overheating, chafing, general discomfort and nasty infections.

Latest Comments