Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Commuting Advice Please

Hi,

I cycle to work 1 week in 4 but I'd like to cycle more often. It's only a couple of miles or so but by the end I have a bit of a sweat on, even in t-shirt and shorts. Problem is, even though I work in a NHS Trust, work does do not have enough lockers or decent showers so I end up having a 'wash' and getting changed in the staff loo and hope for the best.

Does anyone have any suggestions of personal cleansing products that can be used where showers aren't abundant? I have about 30 minutes between arriving and starting my shift.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

29 comments

matthewn5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Ride to work slow enough not to get stinky, ride home fast.

Simontuck | 8 years ago
0 likes

Technical clothing to wick away sweat. Regular bathing, washing kit every day in anti Bac detergent. Cleaning 'saddle area' with anti bac skin wipes or aloe vera wipes seems to help keep sores at bay

Kadenz | 8 years ago
0 likes

Its not just a question of not smelling, its also avoiding skin infections from not washing sweaty parts of the body.

Carton replied to Kadenz | 8 years ago
0 likes

Kadenz wrote:

Its not just a question of not smelling, its also avoiding skin infections from not washing sweaty parts of the body.

Eh. As long as you shower and change your clothes once a day you should be fine.

Matt eaton | 8 years ago
0 likes

Maybe I'm taking the OP too literally but if the journey is only a couple of miles and you are arriving with 30 minutes to spare the simplest option would be to leave the bike at home and walk.

That said, there might be more time pressure on the return journey, making the bike a better option. If this is the case just walk with the bike or pootle extra slow on the way in and then blast on the way home.

bertisfantastic | 8 years ago
0 likes

go to security - get them to activate your swipe for the theatre changing rooms. there should be showers in there. no lockers as they are usually for theatre staff only but there is always a ready supply of ohs sandpaper towels in recovery.

doi - nhs anaesthetist

bertisfantastic | 8 years ago
0 likes

go to security - get them to activate your swipe for the theatre changing rooms. there should be showers in there. no lockers as they are usually for theatre staff only but there is always a ready supply of nhs sandpaper towels in recovery.

doi - nhs anaesthetist

gazza_d | 8 years ago
0 likes

I work in an NHS org, and also don't have access to a shower.

My commute is 16 & a bit miles. I keep trousers and shoes at work along with spare socks & carry a shirt & keks in a bag.
I wear loose shorts and loose fit jerseys. I try to go for "active" type material as I found cotton just got way too wet. I also tend to dress so I start off a bit cold,especially now and warm up into the ride.
If possible I allow a 10-15 minutes to "cool down" and acclimatise to the building climate.
I then wipe down with unscented baby wipes (Aldi or Lidl) and then use deodorant.

For a couple of miles, just a change of clothing material type and slowing down should do, unless the ride to work is up a categorised climb

adamtaylor | 8 years ago
1 like

Here's the tricks that work for me for commuting with no shower:

* Have a shower before you leave
* Apply deodorant
* Dress in technical cycling clothes (top half at least), err on the cold side
* Try to avoid wearing a bag
* Cycle as fast or slow as you like
* Get to work and wait 10 - 30 minutes for the body to cool-down
* Change into work top/clothes

If you wash yourself and your clothes frequently, you won't smell, any sweat will wick away and you will cool-down within not too long of arriving at work.

Bikebikebike | 8 years ago
0 likes

No showers at my work, so I ride really slowly into work, and cycle faster back. Using panniers or a rack bag is a must, as a rucksack gets your back and oxters all sweaty. When it's colder stopping when you've warmed up to take a layer or two off also helps. I also make sure I've got good gloves, hat and neck gaiter so that I can have less on my torso and not have cold bits. Using these tactics I don't need to have a wash, but I guess everyone's different.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I cycle a couple of miles to our local convenience store. I can cycle it gently without having raised breathing and don't break sweat. Then I gun it back, puffing and blowing and arrive beading in sweat. Reduce your effort. I prefer to do the latter, no benefit unless you sweat

Big Engine | 8 years ago
0 likes

As most posters say, wear the least possible amount of technical (i.e. cycling) clothing, and try not to go like a bat out of hell.

My commute is also very short (3.2 miles) and I am prone to excessive sweating. Since being at my current workplace for a few years I've learnt some good practices to stay cool:

Cycle at a steady pace; wear few clothes; arm warmers are good as they can be rolled down while cycling; have some paper towelling to wipe your face upon stopping; disrobe as soon as possible upon dismounting; try and get clean and changed next to an open window or a fan; ensure you wash and dry your face, and maybe your armpits; and Radio 3 or 4 helps first thing  1

p.s. your journey's only half an hour's brisk walk, or a quicker run; then save your rubber for the weekend

dunnoh | 8 years ago
0 likes

After many years of commuting I recommend the Rapha Pro Team Base layer - it wicks away sweat and doesn't get wet. When it gets to about 5 degrees I swear by the Helly Hanson Lifa Dry long sleeve Base Layers. I also don't have showers at work but I find washing your base layers and proper cycling gear in Halo washing liquid stops you honking - its antibacterial.

Danger Dicko | 8 years ago
0 likes

I sweat a bit when I've finished my commute.
It's 2 miles to the train station and my record is 7:02.

That's probably why I sweat.

When I get to work I use Muc-Off Dry Shower and then my regular roll-on deo.
I'd love to have a shower at work but my boss is anti-cycling so I don't think it'll happen soon.

jollygoodvelo replied to Danger Dicko | 8 years ago
0 likes
Danger Dicko wrote:

I'd love to have a shower at work but my boss is anti-cycling so I don't think it'll happen soon.

Think I've found your solution: you need a new boss.

Manchestercyclist | 8 years ago
0 likes

Start cold, also add a pannier or large saddle bag to the bike. That way you can remove layers every time your starting to warm up. If you stay cold all the way there at least you can reduce the amount of sweat.

Failing that, is there a gym you can join just for the showers? or a municipal sports centre. Surely a hospital has showers for patients, is there one you can 'borrow'.

0 likes

Start cold, also add a pannier or large saddle bag to the bike. That way you can remove layers every time your starting to warm up. If you stay cold all the way there at least you can reduce the amount of sweat.

Failing that, is there a gym you can join just for the showers? or a municipal sports centre. Surely a hospital has showers for patients, is there one you can 'borrow'.

0 likes

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

You need a wick layer on the skin and breathable fabrics on top. Obviously a change of clothes everyday.

Carton | 8 years ago
0 likes

Extra deodorant and some kind of light aftershave are always requisite for french (water-less or nearly water-less) shower.

I'm another member of the "if it's over 80 degrees I'll start sweating like a stuck pig even before I get on the bike" club. So I don't even consider a second layer for cycling unless it's under 50.

Flying Scot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I used cheapo baby wipes before we got the showers put in at work, that and trying not to break a sweat!

jova54 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cheers guys.

Like a couple of others I just have to get on the bike for the sweat to start.

Yes I could do with losing a few kilos and training more but at 60 life's too short so thanks for the clothing and cleansing advice.

vonhelmet | 8 years ago
0 likes

I sweat like a monster if I'm doing anything more than 10mph. I can get a sweat on just walking briskly. It sucks.

jasecd | 8 years ago
0 likes

The amount people sweat varies - if you're unlucky like me then you will sweat almost immediately once you start putting in any serious effort (I've got a resting heart rate of 50bpm so I think I'm fit enough).

Definitely agree with the recommendations for technical clothing - ensure that your winter gear is breathable otherwise you'll probably end up wetter on the inside than out. Also agree with the baby wipes but as you arrive early give yourself fifteen minutes to cool down and stop sweating before you clean up.

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you can work up a proper sweat in 6-7 minutes of riding I'd probably suggest a little more practice/training.

When I commuted into work on the bike I made a point of joining a gym near work. I tended to get up early, jump straight on the bike and ride to work and have a shower at the gym.

I use a gym every day anyway, so having one near work and going at lunchtime was an additional convenience for me.

brooksby replied to sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes
sergius wrote:

If you can work up a proper sweat in 6-7 minutes of riding I'd probably suggest a little more practice/training.

That seems a little unfair. Some people just do sweat more than others. I do 16-20 miles per day (depending on which route I take) and couldn't possibly wear 'normal' clothes as I sweat too much. I've been doing that for the last four years. Gosh - do I need to train more  39

sergius replied to brooksby | 8 years ago
0 likes
brooksby wrote:
sergius wrote:

That seems a little unfair. Some people just do sweat more than others. I do 16-20 miles per day (depending on which route I take) and couldn't possibly wear 'normal' clothes as I sweat too much. I've been doing that for the last four years. Gosh - do I need to train more  39

All fair comments, my original is a little crass re-reading it.

I personally have to ride quite hard for upwards of 20 minutes before I warm up (especially @7am when it's nippy out). Even on the spin bike at home in the warm with no moving air around me, it takes me 10+ minutes to break a sweat. Obviously everyone is different in this regard.

I would still contend that for a 2 mile ride (6 minutes @ 20mph, 12 minutes @10mph), I wouldn't have thought it's that hard to find a pace that is sufficiently comfortable to avoid too much sweating/exertion, it's a very short distance.

I'm obviously assuming he doesn't work on top of a mountain ofc...

PonteD | 8 years ago
0 likes

Muc-off sell "dry shower" it's a foam you rub on and then dry off, it smells nice (if you like coconuts) and does a good job of keeping pongs at bay. There's also the old faithful baby wipes to have a once over with.

I find technical clothing does a better job at minimising sweat as it is designed to wick moisture away and keep you dry/cool. If you don't fancy wearing cycling gear a technical sports tee shirt (like a dry fit running top or even a football/rugby shirt) might help as they are also designed to wick away moisture.

Of course the alternative is to just go a little slower and not work up such a sweat (easier said than done).

Shades | 8 years ago
0 likes

Slow down a bit and perhaps wear some lighter 'tech' clothing (e.g. lightweight merino). Winter's coming so the one advantage when cycling in normal clothes is that keeping warm is more of a problem than sweating. Start the ride with just enough clothes that you feel a bit chilly; you'll soon warm up and keep below the sweat threshold.

Latest Comments