Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pedals with clips for small bike frame

My wife has just bought a ribble road bike with a 44cm frame, the clips with such a small frame catch the front wheel when turned through 90 degrees. can anyone suggest a suitable pedal because Ribble don't have one in their stock?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

TheFatAndTheFurious | 8 years ago
0 likes

We found a set of double-pronged plastic toe-clips with a very small cage second-hand in a bike shop. The only distinguishing mark on them is the reference MT7, which a google associates with "Wellgo" though pictures vary and stocks are low.

On my wife's XS road bike with 165mm cranks, they just clear the front wheel.

One question though - does your wife's foot obstruct the front wheel even without the cage? If so, shorter cranks are your only option. This reference list of crank length availability by brand may help (from 2012, mind): http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Short_Crank_Database_2862.html

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Common issue with small or sporty frames. Learn to to turn at slow speed. Or stop, pick up bike and turn around

Derny | 8 years ago
0 likes

Going to a BMX style platform pedal can also be a good option if a clipless pedal is not desired, or if she wants to wear non-cycling shoes.

Also, toe clip overlap does not necessarily make a bike unrideable, unless the rider can't tolerate it. It's not uncommon on smaller bikes, and not all riders feel a need to fix it.

Going to 165mm crank arms is likely to be expensive.

Gkam84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm guessing, as everything is pretty generic with Ribble, you have something between 170-175 cranks?

That would be my first item to address, either buying smaller cranks, down to 155-165 OR finding someone to drill out your current set and cutting the excess off.

monty dog | 8 years ago
0 likes

A generic problem with very small frames - try clipless pedals and shorter cranks? The reality that it is rarely an issue when riding except low-speed manoeuvering.

Latest Comments