Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mavic Aksium or Shimano RS11

Given the choice, which wheels would *you* use on a winter trainer - Mavic Aksium or Shimano RS11?

Ta,

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Chris James | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've four sets of Shimano wheels, dating back 9 years and have never replaced a freehub on any of them, including cheapos that have raced cyclocross.

hucko003 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Aksium's by a long shot - had mine for 2 years on my winter bike and are still true. I've heard with Shimano's that the freehub tends to wear so needs replacing more often.

keef66 replied to hucko003 | 8 years ago
0 likes
hucko003 wrote:

Aksium's by a long shot - had mine for 2 years on my winter bike and are still true. I've heard with Shimano's that the freehub tends to wear so needs replacing more often.

You heard wrong then. I've never had to replace a Shimano freehub, but I've read a lot about the servicing requirements and the fallible plastic bushing involved in Mavic freehubs, and leading to the infamous Mavic Death Squeal.

mike the bike replied to hucko003 | 8 years ago
0 likes
hucko003 wrote:

..... I've heard with Shimano's that the freehub tends to wear so needs replacing more often.

You've been listening to the wrong people again. I'm pretty sure that, since Shimano introduced the freehub, I have never needed to replace one. And I am really a Campag' man.

joemmo | 8 years ago
0 likes

FWIW I've had a pair of aksium one discs for 6 months which probably share some parts and build with the rim brake version and have been pretty impressed. I'm 13 stone and they get used on and off road. Still perfectly true, just needed a little adjustment on the rear bearing preload after a few weeks. Freehub is quiet and smooth, quite happy with them so far.

AKH | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've had a pair of 2015 Aksium One's for a few months and they've been fine, but I appreciate that a few months isn't long enough to really test durability.

I'm 72kg; no issue with the spokes, the wheels are still nice and true.

It seems Mavic have just updated the Aksium line for 2016. The 'old' Aksium One from last year were 622x15c, the 'new' Aksium for 2016 are 622x17c. Depending on how you feel about wider tyres the newer Aksium's might be a better choice.

For basic winter training wheels I doubt there's much in it either way.

I went for the Mavic's because they had more spokes up front, cartridge bearings and brass nipples. I don't plan to take especially good care of them so cartridge bearings and brass nipples appealed to me.

Vejnemojnen | 8 years ago
0 likes

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Fulcrum/Racing-5-LG-Laufradsatz-p40668/

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Fulcrum/Racing-7-LG-CX-Laufradsatz-p40...

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Fulcrum/Racing-5-LG-CX-Laufradsatz-p40...

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Fulcrum/Racing-Quattro-Laufradsatz-Aus...

the racing 7 is 1800 grams, the racing 5 is around 1690, and the quattro is at a beefy 1840, though indestructible.

I highly recommend all of these. I have both R7 and R5, going very strong after thousands of miles. They spin up fast and tolerate abuse pretty well.  1 They also add some volume to the tyres due to the wide rims.

Scoob_84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

the rotating bladed spokes on my aksiums do my nut in, but I've gotten plenty of miles out of them in fairness.

Chris James | 8 years ago
0 likes

I can't kill my RS30s but my mate's Aksium's shed a spoke after 18 months and cracked at the rim, so my experience would differ.

To be fair, my mate weighs a good bit more than me so it might not be a direct comparison.

ianSWBB | 8 years ago
0 likes

Mavic Aksium
Performance of the 2 is about the same, but the Mavics will wear out slower!

Leodis | 8 years ago
0 likes

Mavic Aksium for me, is this for a Dolan?

Latest Comments