Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

please advise tyres for a350 alloy 6061 t6 etrto 622 x 12 rims

Ive just bought my son a pre-owned carrera tdf bike locally after his last hybrid bike was stolen - the rims have the above sticker on them and at present they have very narrow tyres with a smooth surface. What would be the widest tyres I can go for before I need to replace the rims? thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

lastminutelulu | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thank you both for the helpful info

allanj | 8 years ago
0 likes

The rim worry is not likely to be the limiting factor when it comes to tyre width, more the amount of space for the tyres in the frame. Have a look at where the chainstays meet the frame and see how much room there is, then have a look at the existing tyre size and estimate how much bigger you can fit. 23mm is the "standard" width (though that's changing to wider these days, 25mm) and looking at that bike on the Halfords website that's the width it comes with. You should be able to go to 25mm without any issue, perhaps 28mm.

Much wider than that and the tyre will not sit so well on a narrow rim like that and during cornering can squirm around a bit- not a big issue for casual riding but worth bearing in mind if pushing on at all.

Latest Comments