Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ultegra Di2 Cassette

I specified my bike with an 11-32 cassette which is ideal for the majority of my riding, however if I change the cassette to another (e.g. 11-28) would there be a need to adjust the chain / recalibrate the Di2 / change the RD ?

Thanks for any advice.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Andy14 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

"Just like if you never actually used the 32t in day to day riding." - This was my logic, however I wanted to make sure there wasn't something important I was missing. It's great to have real world confirmation from others more experienced and especially from you guys whom have already done it.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have tried in my di2 setup with the same chain and GS derailleur. Original setup 11-32 cassette 50/34 chainset.

Have used 11-25, 14-32 and 12-28 cassettes. I have changed the chainset to 53/39 and use at the moment 11-32 cassette.

Only very slight trim adjustment and end stops on all cass changes. You could get away with no adjustment.

Radical setup 11-40 with modified custom derailleur hanger on 50/34 chainset  1

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

There shouldn't be a 'need' to change anything. If you could get a chain with a quick release that would be best and have two different length chains Dependant on which cassette is used. It would also gt more miles out of the cassette and chainrings.
If you don't change the chain there could be a bit of slack or not much tension. If it was me I'd get a couple of chains.

BBRAP replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I would not bother changing anything as it will work fine. Your new cassette is within the range of the old one which works fine with its current length and tension. Just like if you never actually used the 32t in day to day riding. If however you were going from a 28 to a 32 (which you are not) that could well require a longer chain and possibly a longer cage depending on the current capacity.

If you do decide on a new chain you will probably get away with one two links shorter (you probably know you can't remove just one  7 ).

Latest Comments