Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Leg shaving experiment

Having, several months ago, read a certain blog post on this site about leg shaving, I thought I'd give it a go.

It took a lot longer than I thought it would. Think painting the Forth Bridge with a toothbrush. There's a lot more surface area than a face.

I was pleased with the result. Definitely looks better with lycra. But two days later and I'm being driven mad by prickly bristles. So one experiment I'm writing off.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

ChrisO | 13 years ago
0 likes

Yes it's nice now... but I've always thought the problem with waxing is that the hair has to be much longer to be waxed again, so in effect you have a longer time with stubble.

Shaving grows back faster but can be done again before it gets long.

Miggers | 13 years ago
0 likes

My cousin runs her own hair salon, I was passing yesterday and popped in for a haircut, joked about getting my legs waxed.. 20 mins later and I am smooth as I have ever managed with a razor...

Waxing for me from now on! Wasn't painful in the least...

Pete

ChrisO | 14 years ago
0 likes

I shave against the growth - what's the difference ?

I've always thought it was a bit closer and therefore would last longer before needing to be done again.

Not that I have very hairy legs anyway so maybe that makes a difference.

But yes, shave up to the cyclist-tan-line and not much further.

My wife refuses to acknowledge that I do it so she won't give me any advice.

Old Cranky | 14 years ago
0 likes

any advice from the ladies?

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Against the grain is a definite no-no, and I find that shampoo is a much better lubricant for shaving than shaving foam (a tip from the other 'alf).

I can get a few red spots on the back of my thighs at times, which are ingrown hairs, if you just nip the top of them with tweezers you generally get the hair, and just pluck it out. The spot disappears overnight once you get the hair out.

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

Prickling is mainly mid-thigh. I didn't think I went too high. I stopped below boxer short leg length.

But I did shave against the nap - I'll try the other direction.

And yes, I did use shaving foam - Palmolive shaving cream and a traditional brush.

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

as can the condition of the blade, and the shaving-foam, if you used any

Total respect if you didn't btw

VecchioJo | 14 years ago
0 likes

and like the face shaving with or against the nap of the hair can make a big difference to the two-day prickles, as can the condition of the blade, and the shaving-foam, if you used any

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Cat1 - where are you getting prickled (I think I dare ask!)? It sounds like you may have gone a bit high!

I've been shaving my legs for years, and never get any prickling when it grows back. You don't want to shave inside your thighs too much above the short line (it gives somewhere for the tackle to nestle without fear of abrasion!

Latest Comments