Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Concrete Witchcraft, new surfacing

No idea how much this would cost, but just shows what could be:
http://theawesomer.com/concrete-witchcraft/336892/

Get a hydrophobic bike and you would be all set.

I have very, very, very little hope that I will see any main roads repaved near me any time soon. And by soon I mean in the next 12 years. It seems like investment is a dirty word, make do and mend is the only choice local councils are left with. We are heading back to 19th century surfaces, not ideal for my carbon velocipede.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Leviathan | 8 years ago
0 likes

Mysterious synchronicity on the 'News' page just finding this video on youtube after 6 months.  39

Man of Lard | 8 years ago
0 likes

So it's permeable - it still drains somewhere - either a subsurface drain or into the ground (which once it is waterlogged means the permeable concrete will "fill up" and still get puddles forming)

fukawitribe replied to Man of Lard | 8 years ago
0 likes
Man of Lard wrote:

So it's permeable - it still drains somewhere - either a subsurface drain or into the ground (which once it is waterlogged means the permeable concrete will "fill up" and still get puddles forming)

Of course it drains somewhere, that's the point, and the thing with drainage is that you try and design it so it doesn't get "waterlogged".. which would rather defeat it's whole purpose in life. You want that water as surface water or somewhere else ?

Interesting point about the frost from P3t3- but i'd imagine there are some practical issues with fully impermeable surfaces as well (e.g. shape) - not an easy one to get right for all conditions either way..

Man of Lard replied to fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:

Of course it drains somewhere, that's the point, and the thing with drainage is that you try and design it so it doesn't get "waterlogged".. which would rather defeat it's whole purpose in life. You want that water as surface water or somewhere else ?

Almost like installing properly designed drainage in the first place then? But without the overhead of the regular suction pressure washing that will never happen (like drain maintenance rarely happens until the drains fail to deal with the water headed through them)

fukawitribe replied to Man of Lard | 8 years ago
0 likes
Man of Lard wrote:
fukawitribe wrote:

Almost like installing properly designed drainage in the first place then? But without the overhead of the regular suction pressure washing that will never happen (like drain maintenance rarely happens until the drains fail to deal with the water headed through them)

Exactly - however my point was that the fact that it does drain itself is not a problem. Proper drainage off an impermeable surface needs careful design of the road (shape, structure and material) but I agree it's a more of a one-time thing and not the repeated technical cleaning this surface would need.

P3t3 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Not likely to last long if frost is it....

Actually I think they already use it, isn't this the stuff that sometimes evaporates from where they have laid it - the surface goes through and then in a matter of days its through to the old planed surface underneath.

Latest Comments