Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How close is too close?

Ok so potential new bike. Love everything about it but I have a concern. The rear tyre clearance is minimal to say the least. How close it too close?

They are 25mm Conti tyres fitted as standard.

Not naming model or brand.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Andythetallguy | 8 years ago
0 likes

I run 23mm normally, I ran 25mm for a while and didn't notice that much difference, actually preferred the 23mm, so will proceed knowing it will take a 25mm but more likely to be used with a 23mm...

turboprannet | 8 years ago
0 likes

my BMC only takes 23's, as I found out when a piece of gravel got stuck between the seat tube and back wheel.

BBB | 8 years ago
0 likes

This amount of tyre clearance is just stupid. Seems ok for 25mm but restrict your options.

monty dog | 8 years ago
0 likes

Tyre clearance would only really be a problem if riding down dirt tracks, over wet mud etc. I have closer clearances on my bike that has frequently been ridden down dirt and farm roads.

Chuck | 8 years ago
0 likes

I probably have something like that on the front. The bike came with 23s (it's a 2007) and I have a 25 in there. I can't say I'm aware of stuff getting stuck in there, but there is a lot of scratching/scoring on the inside of the fork at the top.
It doesn't really bother me because selling my bikes on is a very low consideration for me, but YMMV.
You could still use the 25mm tyres on the front... I doubt anyone can really feel the mismatch... (although it would be quite annoying to anyone with ocd Angry )

I couldn't get a 25 on the back, so I've got a mismatch. Got over it pretty quickly  11

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Road frames should be easily capable of 25 or even 28mm tyres. There is no significant reason why a frame should only take 23mm. By designing a frame with limited tyre capacity limits it s market and riders who would consider that particular frame

2 Wheeled Idiot replied to CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

Road frames should be easily capable of 25 or even 28mm tyres. There is no significant reason why a frame should only take 23mm. By designing a frame with limited tyre capacity limits it s market and riders who would consider that particular frame

My road frame only takes 23's. And its one of the best selling bikes ever I suspect.
oh and I'd happily buy it again, jus' saying  36

Andythetallguy replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

And how much clearance do you have?

fukawitribe replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes
2 Wheeled Idiot wrote:
CXR94Di2 wrote:

My road frame only takes 23's. And its one of the best selling bikes ever I suspect.
oh and I'd happily buy it again, jus' saying  36

That's fine but others might want a choice - and the evidence seems to suggest there are many practical benefits for 25-28mm tyres on general road bikes with no real down-side. There also seems little reason from a frame design point of view to un-necessarily restrict the tyre clearance... the Tin Lizzy was one of the best selling cars ever I suspect, great at the time but i'd never buy one these days, jus' saying  3

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

You could still use the 25mm tyres on the front... I doubt anyone can really feel the mismatch... (although it would be quite annoying to anyone with ocd  14 )

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

seen this on a couple of bikes Ive built that then came back for a service

Minimal clearance with 25m tyres, removed the wheels to find the paint had been removed from inside the of the fork and frame arches, scratched away by dirt/grit etc... also underneath of the brake calipers were scratched and had small scrapes out of the alloy

One reason why ill be sticking to 23mm tyres

Andythetallguy | 8 years ago
0 likes

I was thinking that, and in the past have ridden 23mm mainly but i do have some 25mm also so a shame to not be able to use them...

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd personally not be happy to ride with that, a bit of grit and bam, gouged paint  7
Get some 23mm tyres and it'll be fine.

Latest Comments