Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5 2015 seat clamp click

Can anybody help, I have a Cannondale Synapse and the seatpost clamp is the 2 wedge internal type, and clicks when any weight is put on the seat (undulations in the road etc), I can undo the bolt and you can hear the clicking/creaking as its being undone, move the wedges and re tighten and it will be fine for 50-100 miles and then it will come back, is this a trait of this bike. I have carbon paste on the post etc. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

gwirish50 | 7 years ago
0 likes

My 2015 Synapse does the same. As long as that isn't the sound of carbon cracking, I don't mind, though sometimes I've wondered if the seatpost was about to break off. I'm used to "Creakindales", my old T700 is prone to creaking too, I think from the giant aluminum tubes echoing the sounds.

IKone152 | 7 years ago
0 likes

thepiratebays.org I have no idea of it

HavanaJoe | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have the same problem with my 2016 Synapse Carbon.  Yesterday,  my bike shop took the wedge out, greased it heavily and put it back in.  The wedge is aluminum and rubs against the carbon...thus the creaking.  Seems one could be made of a hard rubber or acrylic as a solution.

I also changed out my Selle Italia for a Specialized that I had from a previous bike.  The Selle was creaking and no amount of tightening could fix.  So far, since I bought the bike in Sept., it's been back in at least 6 times for creaking and once for the bottom bracket noise problem.

All is quiet today but I'm not optimistic.  Does anyone know if Synapse Alloy frames have the same problems?

savic | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've got this same exact problem on my 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon. Does anyone know how to fix it? I tried grease, new seatpost etc. but nothing seems to work. Best result I got was when I dropped the seat by 2cm. Even then the wedge loosened after while and started clicking again.

nortonpdj | 8 years ago
0 likes

Wait until the BB30 starts clicking/creaking/groaning - you won't notice the seatpost then. This comment is from one who knows  20  2

IanEdward | 8 years ago
0 likes

I went a bit overboard and used carbon assembly paste on the post and the bits of the wedge that grip the frame, but then used Park polylube 1000 (basically carbon friendly grease) on the two sliding faces of the wedge. Basically coating every surface in some sort of grease.

It sort of worked for a while, I've got countless creaks at the moment which may or may not be from the seatpost ...

Great bike, absolute chore to keep creak free  102

Delv4 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Carbon paste on the post and tightening the bolt tighter than what I was comfortable with cured that creak on my Synapse.

Chalky71 replied to Delv4 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the reply, did you put paste on the wedges as well, was it much tighter than the 4nm it says?

Latest Comments