Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Gears on road bike not working

So I recently bought a CX team comp, it has SRAM Apex derailleur front and rear

I have tried and tried to index my gears and regardless of what I do it will not go into the first 4 gears.

I have previously had no problem indexing my shimano gears on my previous bikes and this is stumping me now. High and Low limit are set correctly but when trying to shift into a lower gear it just wont, barrel adjusters dont help at all. Cables are literally a week old, as is the bike

Anyone know what else it could be or is it a trip to LBS?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

caseyfather | 8 years ago
0 likes

All sorted now, put it onto smallest cog, retensioned the cable and its all good  1

Thanks guys

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you can move the derailleur over to the big gear by hand then it's more than likely cable has slipped. Or the index start point is wrong, easily corrected by slackening off cable, setting shifter to end position and refit to derailleur with appropriate tension. If you don't feel competent then take it back.

mike the bike | 8 years ago
0 likes

Take it back. If you fiddle and break something you will have invalidated your warranty.

vonhelmet replied to mike the bike | 8 years ago
0 likes
mike the bike wrote:

Take it back. If you fiddle and break something you will have invalidated your warranty.

If he's already swapped the mechs himself then I think he's beyond the point of warranty being relevant.

caseyfather | 8 years ago
0 likes

It was microshift but I swapped it out for SRAM apex

BrokenBootneck | 8 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't trust halfords to sort it out, I have had so many issues with that bike. Also is it not microshift front mech? I changed mine for a sram rival after the microshift started to bow outwards making it impossible to shift.

Chuck | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's obviously worth figuring out how to do this yourself at some point, but if it's a week old everything should be working fine so- back to the shop!

jollygoodvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Bike is a week old. Take it back to Halfords and tell them to build it properly.

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cable slipped perhaps? You could try adjusting the limit screws to the middle of the range and then move the cable in the grip to pull the derailleur down to the correct position for the lowest gear, and then adjust from there?

Latest Comments