Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tyres for winter? Gatorskins? Marathons?

I have a specialized Sirrus with stock 28mm espoir tyres on at the moment. They are ok in the dry weather however now winter is approaching and the rain is starting I am in need of some winter tyres.
I would like to go for 32c as I think this will give best grip and comfort. I mainly cycle city roads and a few tow-paths and gravel tracks.
I have considered the following:
Schwalbe Marathon Greenguards
Schwalbe Marathon Plus
Continental Gatorskins

I understand the Schwalbe's are a lot heavier and don't roll as well however have excellent puncture protection.
I previously used 35c Schwalbe Greenguards on an old hybrid bike and they were quite slow and heavy. Also cornering wasn't as grippy and nippy due to the thick treads.
I like the look of the gatorskins as they are light and I favour speed over puncture protection. My question is which tyres will have the most grip on wet roads?
Open to other suggestions as well -If 32's are too wide then i could use 28's etc.
I am assuming gatorskins will be equal to the dry performance of the current espoirs.
Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

36 comments

Exup | 8 years ago
0 likes

I prefer Conti GP 4 seasons over Marathons. In my experience they seem to have much better wet weather grip, better puncture resistance and roll faster.

S13SFC | 8 years ago
0 likes

I use Michelin Endurance Pro 4s.

Tough & glued to the road but with good rolling resistance.

Rode 1000s of KM last winter both on shitty urban roads and shitty country lanes and suffered 1 puncture and that was from our friendly hawthorn hedge trimmers in the early Autumn.

tjm160 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Recommended by a friend, I use Vredestein Fortezza Senso All Weather 25mm on my best/summer bike. I've only done 600km, but love them. They roll and grip just great and the colour options add a bling appeal.

Having got on so well with these, I ordered the Vredestein Fortezza Senso Xtreme in 28mm for the wet/winter bike this evening.

Nick0 | 8 years ago
0 likes

http://road.cc/content/review/126182-vredestein-fortezza-senso-xtreme-tyres

Gatorskins are EVIL in the wet. These ^ are really very very good winter tyres but oddly take a while to wear in. Grip is excellent in all conditions, as is puncture protection. And they can be had for a bargain price (check Ribble)

mike the bike replied to Nick0 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Never ridden on Vredesteins Nick but they had a very, very good review in last month's Cycling Plus.

greenlight | 8 years ago
0 likes

Conti 4 Seasons for me, commuting every day in central london not a single conventional puncture for two years solid. However the sacrifice is the side walls are not the toughest but the flexibility and weight benefit from this and that is the trade off that must be made. So despite a sidewall tear last year required a tyre replacement i couldnt go back to heavier, styrdier sidewall tyre.

230548 | 8 years ago
0 likes

have used gatorskins for the past two winter seasons and had one puncture total,i am doing three rides a week aprox. 50/60 miles per ride, all on new forest roads with a lot of grit and flooding

spatt77 | 8 years ago
0 likes

hi, i`ve had durano plus on my winter wheels for 2 years now, zero punctures, roll well and grippy. only downside is the ride is not as good as my summer tyres but that`s to be expected.

Morat | 8 years ago
0 likes

Two punctures on the last ride with Gatorskins (one standard, one hardshell).
One tiny 3mm flint and one thorn.

That was on a heavy tandem though!

bikerdavecycling | 8 years ago
0 likes

Gatorskins for me were just far, far too sketchy. Found some forums called them Skatorskins. Puncture resilience excellent, grip terrible. I'd look at anything else. I use Vittoria Pave which are very comfortable, and have supreme grip. But I have punctured on them, and they don't last over about 2k miles.

Good grip and long lasting wear are not compatible in my opinion.

Steve Dilley | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think continental grand Prix 4 season are grippier than gatorskin as they have the black chilli compound, although they are a little less bomb proof. I have the 4 season and they are great, but not cheap. I have recently had fitted bontrager H2 which is a heavier commuter tyre. Another cyclist says he had a pair that lasted 20000 miles and he loved them.

Sniffer | 8 years ago
0 likes

Going back to the original post, which often gets forgotten in threads like these.

You say you favour speed over punture protection.

In my mind that would be Raceguards. Other way round it would be the Plus versions.

roadgenius4 | 8 years ago
0 likes

so lots of people say the schwalbe durano's
which ones though?
They do the Plus versions and the raceguards in 28c maximum.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-durano-raceguard-dual-compound-folding-...
Im guessing that because its so mixed with responses on here, any of the tyres would be good.
Any one with exprience with more than 1 set of these tyres i would like to know from as that probably gives the most accurate differences between them.

gonedownhill replied to roadgenius4 | 8 years ago
0 likes

23mm folding raceguard in my case

Scoob_84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

if you go for armadillos, get the wire beaded variety and avoid the folding version. The folding version is even harder to install and feels incredibly slow for some reason.

keith roberts | 8 years ago
0 likes

marathon plus 25 mm, three years on the winter trainer on the road and used on the turbo too...no punctures and I haven't experienced any sketchiness in greasy conditions, they handle well and grip well in nearly all conditions, roll pretty fast too. but tyres are like underwear...one size does not suit all, so you should (and i'm sure you will ) make up your own mind!  4

gonedownhill | 8 years ago
0 likes

I like duranos. Very rare that I get a puncture even riding over the glass which seems to be a permanent fixture outside a pub I ride past twice a day. Also good grip in the rain, never feel them losing traction unlike the Mavic Axioms that came with my Canyon which are great in the dry but absolutely lethal in the rain - I had the 10 inch long bruise on my thigh to prove it last year. Tbh I am more bothered about grip in the wet than punctures, one is an inconvenience, one could lead to serious injury.

Sniffer replied to gonedownhill | 8 years ago
0 likes
gonedownhill wrote:

I like duranos. Very rare that I get a puncture even riding over the glass which seems to be a permanent fixture outside a pub I ride past twice a day. Also good grip in the rain, never feel them losing traction unlike the Mavic Axioms that came with my Canyon which are great in the dry but absolutely lethal in the rain - I had the 10 inch long bruise on my thigh to prove it last year. Tbh I am more bothered about grip in the wet than punctures, one is an inconvenience, one could lead to serious injury.

Me too, just bought a couple from Wiggle where they were only £23 each. Used them before and been happy with them. Going to use them on my winter bike a Kinesis Racelight T2. Rode it in torrential rain on Saturday and found the stock tyres gave sketchy grip and I had an off. Found myself on the internet going back to Duranos before the weekend finished.

I think they go up to 28s. There is a review of them on this site.

I am a human | 8 years ago
0 likes

I really like Schwalbe Maraton Supremes. They definitely roll better than Marathon Pluses and seem to be holding up fine on my commuter after two years in all weathers.

Tjuice | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've always been happy with Conti GP 4 Seasons

nortonpdj replied to Tjuice | 8 years ago
0 likes

Conti 4 seasons 28mm. 260g and 330 tpi. Light, comfortable and built for Paris-Roubaix.

Stef Marazzi | 8 years ago
0 likes

Four seasons 700x28. Grippy in the rain, roll fast, light weight. Easy to get off and on if you do get a flat (extremely rare)

bollandinho | 8 years ago
0 likes

I use 28mm Continental GP 4 Seasons. Tough enough for commuting through some glassy bits of Glasgow, light gravel riding and a lot of miles, without the slippery road scariness that my old Gatorskins had.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Have you seen the latest tubeless model range from schwalbe?

psclarke | 8 years ago
0 likes

Schwalbe Durano S. 12 months commuting on mixed surfaces and no punctures so far, plus a lot nicer ride than the Marathons I had previously (and a huge weight saving!). Good grip on anything short of mud too.

barbarus | 8 years ago
0 likes

No punctures for me on gaterskins.

HalfWheeler | 8 years ago
0 likes

Specialized Armadillos. Wee bit heavy but absolutely bomb proof, I managed to get over 3000 puncture free miles on one pair. In fact I only replaced them coz the tread had worn all the way down to the casing.

Jono M | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've got 25 mm Gatorskins on my racer and had the unfortunate experience racing in 40F rainy weather a couple times. Even when water was running over the roadway I didn't feel a loss of traction. And no punctures so far.

Shades | 8 years ago
0 likes

Marathon Plus. If there was a nuclear war, they'd survive. Little bit 'slippy' in that deep winter greasy road period.

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

You can't go wrong with Gatorskins.

Pages

Latest Comments