Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

ADVICE: Gabba 2 VS Etxeondo WS.. Which as a versative windproof/showerproof jersey?

Hi Gents! I'm looking to buy a cycling short sleeve top that is wind resistant and showerproof, with option of adding arm warmers as needed.

Narrowed down to the now famous Castelli Gabba (2) with the nanoflex arm warmers (lowest price of writing is Gabba short sleeve for £105 and arm warmers at £20, so £125 for the lot).

Or...the Etxeondo WS Team Edition jersey with the matching arm warmers together for £93 (was RRP £155).

www.alwaysriding.co.uk/etxeondo

Both 'seem' to perform essentially the same job at a £32 difference. Does anyone have the experience of either piece of kit (especially the Etxeondo WS, as the Gabba is well endorsed as a good piece of kit)?

Also...HOW do you like to wear these types of kit (as I was trying a Gabba on in my local bike shop the other day)...? Do you like them tight as a second skin? Or (still fitted)...with enough room to have a lighter shirt, if needed, underneath?

Thanks in advance!!

PADDY.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

il sole | 8 years ago
0 likes

I personally love my Sportful Fiandre no rain long sleeve jersey - works really well... presumably similar tech to the gabba as it's made by the same people!
I also have a no rain hotpack jacket and no rain tights...I ALWAYS stay nice and dry and toasty - so much so, I am weirdly looking forward to winter!!!

PADDY_M | 8 years ago
0 likes

That's a good deal on the Belkin top!! I went for the Gabba 2 short sleeved with the nanoflex arms. £120 total, so not too bad (Gabba 2 special deal off my LBS, and sleeves from the cheapest dealer online).
Went for the 007 stealthy black look. Was tempted by the hi-vis (more sensible), but vanity won the day!!  29

Ducci | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you don't mind Belkin kit and are of the more svelte persuasion Prendas are selling these :- http://www.prendas.co.uk/etxeondo-2013-belkin-team-windstopper-team-edit...

Scoob_84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm a proud owner of a gabba 1 in fluro. Great kit when the skies get grey and wet like last night. That said, that etxeondo looks good value for money and importantly the same windstopper material as the gabba. I'd probably give that a punt if i were in your position

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

For me my long sleeve Gabba2 is my go-to top all throughout the colder months. I either wear a long sleeve or short sleeve base layer with it, and when it gets really cold a Castelli "Neck-Thingy" as well.

PADDY_M | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

flyingpitman | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi Paddy I have a Gabba and it's brilliant.I wear it with a baselayer underneath.I did look at this one https://www.seankellycycling.com/store/p15/Ultimate_Rain_Jersey.html but it was too tight for me and the bigger size out of stock.The quality was superb mind.Sorry cant help with the Exteondo one.I wouldn't hesitate to get another Gabba if I could afford it.I was out in the rain last saturday for about 2 hours,and the jersey performed excellently.Just a slight dampness,probably due to sweat.The sleeves are a touch longer than a normal jersey but I didnt mind that.Pockets are deep and wide,with drainage in the bottom of them.It has a drop down tail which is very handy.The only thing with it is it's probably too warm for summer.
The Exteondo seems to come with arm warmers where the Gabba doesn't.
Worth looking in reviews to see which would suit you.

flyingpitman | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi Paddy I have a Gabba and it's brilliant.I wear it with a baselayer underneath.I did look at this one https://www.seankellycycling.com/store/p15/Ultimate_Rain_Jersey.html but it was too tight for me and the bigger size out of stock.The quality was superb mind.Sorry cant help with the Exteondo one.I wouldn't hesitate to get another Gabba if I could afford it.I was out in the rain last saturday for about 2 hours,and the jersey performed excellently.Just a slight dampness,probably due to sweat.The sleeves are a touch longer than a normal jersey but I didnt mind that.Pockets are deep and wide,with drainage in the bottom of them.It has a drop down tail which is very handy.The only thing with it is it's probably too warm for summer.
The Exteondo seems to come with arm warmers where the Gabba doesn't.
Worth looking in reviews to see which would suit you.

Latest Comments