Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Zwift?

Winter is coming and realistically, I might have to retreat indoors when things get too bad. Motivation on my Watt bike is not easy. Does anyone use Zwift? Is it easy to use? Expensive? What will it tell me that my Watt bike stats doesn't? Can I use with Strava? Do I need to plug stuff into a laptop? Other hardware is Garmin 500.

Basically ..... tell me everything!!!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Also consider Bkool

veseunr | 8 years ago
0 likes

Aahh ..went for it but my laptop is old and only 32 bit. Zwift only goes onto 64 bit machines by the sound of it. New laptop required, I think?

fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Not really much I can add to what abudhabiChris has already said, it really is well done, astonishingly addictive and good fun. I've been on since around last Christmas/New Year but only just starting going on some of the group rides/races- and they really do make a huge difference to me, can't believe i've waited this long. FWIW I now really look forward to upcoming events and my times and efforts have been improving way faster than the normal circuits I was using the courses for before - nothing gets you working harder than competition whether inside or out. Cracking stuff, costs buttons to start, go for it.

KirinChris | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I use it all the time and have done since February when I was recovering from an accident. I've continued to use it for indoor sessions even now.

Go to their site and look at the user guide, or have a look at the Zwift Riders or Zwift UK groups on Facebook.

As you already have a Wattbike you just need to download the software onto your computer - the higher graphics you have the better.

Currently in beta so free, but they plan to charge at some point. US$10 per month is the sort of range being put out.

Then you just need an ANT+ dongle that costs about 10 quid and goes into the USB port so it picks up the power readings from the Wattbike. You may also need an extension cable to put the receiver closer, depending on signal strength.

It is very good motivation. You get to watch something changing while you ride, there are other riders around and there is a very active group-ride scene ranging from beginner social rides to some quite serious racing with guys who are pretty high-level riders in real life.

Occasionally there are special events, like rides with Jens Voigt. And they plan to add different courses -at the moment they have done a replica of the Richmonds Worlds course.

You can link it to your Strava account and at the end it automatically uploads all the data.

For anyone riding indoors it's absolutely brilliant.

Latest Comments