Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Use British Cycling Membership's default legal team for a claim, or is there a better firm?

Afternoon all,

In 2.5 years/11,000 miles of commuting, I managed to get knocked off twice in the past three weeks, in both cases there was damage to my bike and clothing, the first was scrapes bumps and bruises (Autoglass van turning left across a bus lane), the second was more serious, Fiat 500 driver turning right from the other side of the road sending me over his bonnet - I think the cartilage in my (good) right knee is torn.

I have British Cycling Membership and was wondering if I should go with their default legal team; "Leigh Day" in Manchester: Do any of you good people have experience of them, good, or bad, and do you have other recommendations? I do want a firm that will get my claims sorted quickly and will get the best possible compensation.

All feedback/input gratefully received. And take care out there....
Nick0

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

My experience was positive; bitten by a dog, scars, hospital visit, tetanus injection and so on and they were willing to proceed against the dog owner if I wanted to. I didn't, but it was reassuring to know that they were available and that they appreciated my reasons for not pursuing the claim.

Nick0 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks chaps. And as long as they're Campag sausages?  4

SPAM Naval | 8 years ago
0 likes

just to say i agree with all the comments here. Used Leigh Day through my BC membership last year and found them great, although I haven't eaten any of their sausages at this point...

Flying Scot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Did someone mention sausages?

Nick0 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Good advice thanks

wodentop | 8 years ago
0 likes

I know what you mean. I may have a new bike etc. but it in no way compensates for missing the best part of year on the bike, not to mention the impact of the crash psychologically and any injuries (plus the lack of fitness when you finally get back on the saddle).

One very minor plus is that it is now coming up to Autumn and it is better (in my mind) to be off the bike recovering over wet and cold winter days than warm and sunny Spring/Summer days.

Good luck with the recovery - unfortunately there is no rushing it.

One more tip - keep a note of all your visits to doctors / nurses etc. As well as being included in mileage claims it is useful to have a diary of the impact of the injuries and how long they lasted for. Photos also help, both of injuries and of any items of clothing / bike / accessories that were damaged.

wodentop | 8 years ago
0 likes

I was knocked off this time last year. Bike written off, lots of skin missing, whiplash etc. Went through BC and used Leigh Day. Have no complaints. The process took until the end of June this year - but the delays were due to the other side not wanting to negotiate until the driver was convicted.

I'd have no problems in recommending them. Emails were responded to within a couple of days, and they clearly explained the process and causes of any delays.

They gave me details of their recommended physios, but were happy for me to choose my own and submit receipts - and advised my on the price range likely to be accepted by the other side.

They also arranged for a local independent doctor to assess my injuries.

Be sure to keep track of the mileage you cover while you are without your bike / unable to ride - 9 months of this really adds up!

Nick0 replied to wodentop | 8 years ago
0 likes
wodentop wrote:

I was knocked off this time last year. Bike written off, lots of skin missing, whiplash etc. Went through BC and used Leigh Day. Have no complaints. The process took until the end of June this year - but the delays were due to the other side not wanting to negotiate until the driver was convicted.

I'd have no problems in recommending them. Emails were responded to within a couple of days, and they clearly explained the process and causes of any delays.

They gave me details of their recommended physios, but were happy for me to choose my own and submit receipts - and advised my on the price range likely to be accepted by the other side.

They also arranged for a local independent doctor to assess my injuries.

Be sure to keep track of the mileage you cover while you are without your bike / unable to ride - 9 months of this really adds up!

Many thanks for this, this is just the kind of feedback I was hoping for - some good tips too, thank you.
I am just about walking now, stairs are still a problem, so have no chance of getting on the bike for God knows how long. I am back to using the misery of South West Trains into London for work. No amount of money will give me my knee back, nor can it compensate the sh!te that rail commuting brings!

HalfWheeler | 8 years ago
0 likes

You might as well get yer moneys worth.

Nick0 replied to HalfWheeler | 8 years ago
0 likes
HalfWheeler wrote:

You might as well get yer moneys worth.

Absolutely. I'm waiting for a scan on the damaged knee, if it is cartilage tear then I'm looking at a minimum 6 months off the bike. Just thinking about being unable to ride for that amount of time is depressing me  20

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

they are one of the biggest claimant personal injury firms.
a bit sausage factory when it comes to small claims, but very good

Nick0 replied to rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

A sausage factory! Lolz. Thanks for the input/feedback on them, it's looking like a no-brainer.

foot_loose | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think you will find they are a top notch firm.

Nick0 replied to foot_loose | 8 years ago
0 likes
foot_loose wrote:

I think you will find they are a top notch firm.

Thanks, they come across well and it's good to hear positive comments, have you used them?

Latest Comments