Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

First Entry Level Road Bike Choices

HI so I've been riding a mountain bike on the roads and whatnot with friends for a while now and having joined a cycling club and need an upgrade. From looking at different reviews and sites I've narrowed the list down from 5 to 2 - the boardman road sport (2014) and the giant defy 4 (2015). Both models seem to be pretty similar but the defy has the thumb shifting whereas the boardman has an aluminium rather than a carbon fork.

Which do you think would be better or is there a better alternative for around £400-500 or so? Irregardless of bike choice ill be getting new pedals (probably shimano SPD) and possibly a new saddle

Thanks,
Ethan

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd go or the Defy but both are very good bikes (as is the B'Twin) so pick the one you like best.

This might help:
http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/160769-best-road-bike-bargains-under...

Lee170 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I started out last year from mountain biking with a giant defy 5, I loved it. I've now upgraded again but that will happen over time.
The defy is a great starter bike, don't know much about boardman. The bTwin gets really good reviews to. I think it's called triban. If it was my money i'd get a defy.

Latest Comments