Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Using Tubs on the Road

Hi all,

I'm starting to use tubs for normal club riding in dry weather. My question is what should I carry in case of a puncture? I assume for quickness I should take a spare pre-stretched tub and a tube of glue? What do those who use tubs think?

I'm using Vittoria Pave tyres which are fairly tough.

Thanks,

Roland

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

Walo | 8 years ago
0 likes

<p>I only ride tubs. The quality of tubs is really great these days&nbsp;and if you ride 24-25mm wide ones, the chance they get punctured is really low. I always carry a tool bottle with a used spare tub, a spare valve extension (just in case you run deep sections), a co2 cartridge and self adhesive patches. Carrying a Vittoria Pitstop can gives me the extra confindence on ultra-long rides. Perhaps a tip when using the Pitstop foam: you have to hold it upright, when the foam exits the hole, turn the wheel until the hole is facing the road and keep it that way for some time. For bigger punctures, you can even use&nbsp;a self adhesive patch before filling in the foam.</p>

edster99 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I only use tubs. Spare, glued tub in my back pocket, plus a tiny tube of sealant for emergencies. I have had bad experiences with Pitstop.

Go for it!

Flying Scot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I run mine with caffe latex sealant in them.

Very few issues.

I also carry on old, glued, stretched tub as a spare, with a tube of glue, a quick smear reactivates the old cement on the tub and rim.

surly_by_name | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just to complicate things - http://www.velominati.com/musings-from-the-v-bunker/in-praise-of-sealant/ argues for use of sealant in tubs. I am not sure I think this is a good idea. If you have latex tubes, the wrong sealant will cause them to perish. Also, Pete Burgin (RIP) used to refuse to repair any tubs that had sealant in them. Not sure of Gary Brown's attitude toward sealant.

fukawitribe replied to surly_by_name | 8 years ago
0 likes
surly_by_name wrote:

Just to complicate things - http://www.velominati.com/musings-from-the-v-bunker/in-praise-of-sealant/ argues for use of sealant in tubs. I am not sure I think this is a good idea. If you have latex tubes, the wrong sealant will cause them to perish.

Well, choose the right sealant then  3 Seriously, it's not rocket science and it's not like you have to continually do it.

surly_by_name wrote:

Also, Pete Burgin (RIP) used to refuse to repair any tubs that had sealant in them. Not sure of Gary Brown's attitude toward sealant.

Each to their own, although seems un-necessarily draconian it's their business. That said, part of the reasoning behind using sealant is to avoid sending them in for repair in the first place, so that may have a bearing on practicality. The other way to do it is to only use sealant in the event of a puncture (seal, re-inflate) although clearly the end result is the same and personally I can't see a huge amount of benefit.

700c replied to fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:

The other way to do it is to only use sealant in the event of a puncture (seal, re-inflate) although clearly the end result is the same and personally I can't see a huge amount of benefit.

That's what I do - sealant in the event of emergencies only.. no rational explanation for it though

Surprised by the support for Vittoria Pitstop, above - perhaps I've just been unlucky but it's always ended with a flat tyre and a mess everywhere, not to mention a bulky can that then needs to be put in the bin!

PS there's a really good test of preventative sealants here - some of them are VERY effective: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_Test_-...

fukawitribe replied to 700c | 8 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

PS there's a really good test of preventative sealants here - some of them are VERY effective: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Things_that_Roll/Tires/Sealant_Test_-...

Thanks for the link - very interesting. I've been using Stans in the past but will definitely give the Bontrager TLR stuff a go in future and might even try a bit in the clinchers.

kev-s replied to 700c | 8 years ago
0 likes

Some people don't seem to have much luck with pitstop but others like me have never had any trouble

In fact the only time it hasn't worked is when i forgot to take it with me! (hence the 15 mile ride with two flat tubs)

I don't think the can is bulky, quite slim compared to other sealants that you use once you have flatted, plus its also a c02 inflater so no need to carry a c02 canisters

One thing to remember with sealants that stay as a liquid fluid inside the tub (pitstop is more of a foam) is you can feel the sealant rushing round the tub when you spin the wheel (had this with specialized air lock sealant) and it unbalances the wheel somewhat

Roland | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all for the input, appreciated.

Some great advice and so I'll be going with an old pre-glued 21mm tub and a can of Tufo aerosol! I like the idea of tape but most riders still seem to favour glue so I'll stick with that (no pun intended).

Assume I can pinch my gf's nail varnish remover to clean the rims?

ianSWBB | 8 years ago
0 likes

The tufo extreme sealant is good - get a flat, take out the removable core with your little tool, squeeze in sealant, put core back in, inflate - 2 minutes later, good to go!

Jharrison5 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've always used residual tub tape/cement only and an easy ride home. A butylized tub rarely punctures though. Why use a pocket for it when you can go all 1950s on your riding mates?

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
1 like

I've never done it but do you really need to pre glue the replacement tub...at 120 psi that a c02 canister will give you I really cannot see a tub shifting on the rim.
I certainly couldn't budge the tyres on my track wheels above about 90 psi.

surly_by_name replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
1 like
2 Wheeled Idiot wrote:

do you really need to pre glue the replacement tub...

"Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Or: how much are your teeth worth?

2 Wheeled Idiot replied to surly_by_name | 8 years ago
0 likes
surly_by_name wrote:
2 Wheeled Idiot wrote:

do you really need to pre glue the replacement tub...

"Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world and would blow your head clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

Or: how much are your teeth worth?

Surly by nature too it seems  37
I was asking a genuine question, obv I wouldn't then rail it round corners or go fast but as a get home measure I was just asking...  7

surly_by_name replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes
2 Wheeled Idiot wrote:

Surly by nature too it seems...  7

Sometimes, perhaps too often. Didn't intend to cause offence, apologies. Merely intended to make the point that you don't HAVE to do anything, but - as always - there are risks involved in not doing so. Given how easy it is to paint a couple of coats of tub glue on to the base tape of an old tub (then leaving to dry) before rolling it up, I don't think its a risk worth taking.

BigAl68 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Carry a a spare tub and tape. Plus sealant of choice.

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

Can of Vittoria pitstop, Co2 and sealant in one

Ive sealed many punctures with it

I used to use a can on each new tub to help prevent punctures then carry a can with me just in case

It stays active for 3-6 months but ive had tubs that have had it in for a year and a quick top up with a new can and seals the hole quickly

It wont fix a big slash so then its a choice of make a phone call and get picked up or carry a spare folded pre glued tub, you can fold them so the glue wont stick to your clothes, i used to put mine in a sock and strap it to my tool bottle

Or you could ride home on the flat tubs (done this for 15 miles, flat front and rear) as they are glued on they wont come off the rim, the tub splays out and protects the rim, don't go over 10mph and careful when you turn

rct | 8 years ago
0 likes

Can of Vitoria pit stop.

700c | 8 years ago
0 likes

no, shouldn't do if you fold and store it right. The glue dries and become less tacky anyway over time. Plenty of suggestions online by the tubular cognoscenti as to how to best do this!

700c | 8 years ago
0 likes

I recommend a pre-glued spare tyre plus mini tube of sealant for longer rides e.g. Stan's no tubes. That set up *should* cope with up to 3 punctures. Don't get vittoria pitstop though, it's rubbish. You need the removabale core type of valve though to put sealant in mid ride.

Roland replied to 700c | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for this. If I pre-glue the spare though, won't it stick to itself when I fold it up and tuck it in my jersey?

surly_by_name replied to Roland | 8 years ago
0 likes
Roland wrote:

Thanks for this. If I pre-glue the spare though, won't it stick to itself when I fold it up and tuck it in my jersey?

Yes, it will and its supposed to do so. Apply glue to base tape and roll tub up (base tape to base tape). This will stop the glue getting contaminated - which will help it stick better.

If you get a puncture whilst riding tubs a spare tub will get you home but you wouldn't want to corner at race speed.

Buy a second hand tub on ebay for your spare. Buy a 21, rolls up smaller.

gdmor10 | 8 years ago
0 likes

its a long time since I rode tubs but from what I remember the residual rim cement that was on the rim was enough to hold the replacement tire in place until you got home and could reapply new glue.

Maybe its easier now though.

just pray you dont get a double puncture though!  22

Latest Comments