Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cassette and Chainset advice

Hi All, I'm looking at upgrading or replacing my chain, cassette and possibly chain set. Partly through wear, but also to offer me a little more assistance on the climbs, and downhill speed increase. I live in a hilly part of South Wales. I currently have a 50/39/30 triple chainset, and I think a 11 or 12 /28 or 30 on the rear. Running Shimano Ultegra setup.

I'm starting to push the distances from 50miles upwards, and with the numbers of hills, and the fact that the majority of my riding is alone, I'm looking to make it a little easier on my self on the hills, but to also be able to increase my speed on downhills, I get to the point there I can't keep up with the bikes while cycling downhill.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I'm still learning and reading up on bikes, but would like some experienced advice, rather than me making a wrong decision

Cheers Tom

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

JonD | 8 years ago
0 likes

No-one's mentioned it yet so may not be a problem, but if you drop inner teeth and increase outer teeth check that your rear mech has enough capacity (effectively cage length).

Dunno offhand how road stuff pans out, mine is a road/ mtb mix - but a larger front ring may need a slightly longer chain, and smaller inner may need to take a bit more chain slack - big-big or small-small are best avoided for chain wear issues, but it's best to check it'll be handled so an inadvertent big-big selection doesn't pull the chain apart  1 I guess you must have a mid-cage rear mech already if you're using a triple.

In the unlikely event you put on a smaller middle, if you've 110bcd cranks there shouldn't be a problem, I decided to downsize everything on my recumbent from 53/42/30 to 48/38/26 (would have been cheaper/simpler buying a touring crank from SJS !) and the smaller middle on a 130bcd crank meant filing a rebate into the spider so the chain would clear it :o Works perfectly now with an mtb front mech.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Your age and weight aren't a detriment to your ability, it is just physics. I carry lots of muscle mass and find hills are always slow going against my age group who are blessed with slender builds and capabilities of climbing well. But when I time trial against these guys on a flat course, I can compete quite well.

45mph is pretty fast, just try and remember you're riding a pushbike. It will hurt alot if you come off at those speeds, but if speed downhill is your thing, so be it.

Forbez | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi Guys, thank you for your responses, and yes I should probably have given a it more detail.
I'm 34 years old, with a good fitness level, regular gym user, the odd spin class. And years of football and running behind me. I'm not as fit as I'd like to be, and working on shedding a few pounds.

I'm 5' 10", but very broad shouldered, and weigh around 14.5 stone. I know that loosing a few pounds / stone will help get my fat arse up the hills about easier and quicker.
I carry quite about of weight through muscle, so I don't really have the typical Pro type body shape. ( or infact the most aerodynamic)

I wear a tight bibshorts and cycling top, and have a focus Cayo carbon fibre roadie.

I'm interested in the changing of the Rings for a 52, as pedal as quick as I can, I can't seem to keep up with the ability to keep pushing down the hills.
Being from Wales, there are mountains everywhere but a few slopes, that allow a good speed buildup, and it's on those that I want to be able to give it abit more. I tuck in. As much as I physically can / feel safe and still under control of the bike ( for some hills with bends or bumps in the road)

I can hit 45mph on these hills, but feel like I should be able to do a little more.

For the uphills, maybe getting out and doing abut more riding would benefit me more than posting on the Internet.

Thank you for your replies.

Regarding the changing of rings, I'm guessing that's not uncommon.

thanks Tom

Stef Marazzi | 8 years ago
0 likes

I have the same gears (Triple as well) on my Caad 8, and it will do just over 50mph on the extended downhills, not sure why you would want to go quicker than that. There are not many hill descents where you can get up to that kind of speed though, and if you come off at that speed, you will have more to worry about than spinning the gears out.

700c | 8 years ago
0 likes

On this occasion I don't think changing the equipment will make much of a difference. As others have pointed out, you're at the top end of the what's usable already.

Any change to the extreme top end e.g. a cassette with 32t will result in bigger jumps between the gears you already have, making shifting less reliable and harder to keep a rhythm over undulating terrain.

Besides which, spinning out on 50/11 as you do currently should put you well in excess of 40mph. Finding an aero position, not pedaling and letting gravity do it's thing is the only way you can get much of an increase to the top speed above that, (short of having the cadence of a professional track rider!!)

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's common for people to think that changing perfectly good equipment will make a significant difference. It won't. Save your money for something worthwhile and enjoy riding what you have.

Is it really worn out? My Tiagra triple has been ridden year-round for over 5 years. I may have to replace the 39t ring at some point but that's a lot less than a new chainset.

A triple with 28 or 30 teeth on the cassette is pretty low gearing, there isn't a double/compact chainset that will give you a better spread of gears.

Anyone can spin out going downhill; that's not an achievement, it's gravity. Enjoy it.

You might want to get a chain checker and replace your chain before it wears / stretches too much.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

The setup you have will give you speed of 32mph at 90rpm(50×11) and as low as 7 mph on the easiest gears.

Going downhill faster just pedal at 100 rpm or if the hill is steeper let gravity do its thing. I have gone over 50 mph whilst freewheeling.

You need to give us a little clue has to your fitness, age and weight. On the face of it, it looks like more cycling is required and at a harder pace to improve fitness

A good gauge of improving fitness is your usual routes will take less time to complete, try and beat your previous best time

Colin Peyresourde | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yeah. Agree with much of the above. The gearing you have is not really the issue. It is capable of doing what you need. I recently out a compact ratio on my bike for the Marmotte and still had it on the bike for the Ride London 100 - I did it in 4:34, so it's plenty capable of doing up hills and flats at good speeds.

On long downhills and descents I do tend to spin out. But it's not clear from your message that this is happening. But it's probably better to have the gearing for the uphill that the downhill.

If you are going slowly I would suggest that it is either the engine (you heart/lungs/legs), or the ballast/chassis (weight of yourself and the bike) that I would look at. More hours and more training are likely to help the former and it's cheaper than the latter.

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes

I now this will sound harsh, but, if you need/ want more assistance on the climbs than a low gear of 30/28 or 30/30 is giving you, and yet feel you want to increase on the downhill speed a high gear of 50/11 or 50/12 gear, then either you must be built like a rugby forward, or, (again, to be harsh), the primary issue is your fitness, not the drivetrain.

The lowest low gear on most road bikes is now going to be the 34 on a 50/34 compact at the front, and a 32 on the rear- so you are already doing better than that.

And with a 50/12 big gear, practice to spin at 100+ rpm if you must before thinking about changing kit.

Or you just want a motorbike.

HalfWheeler | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi Tom,

There may well be better ways of improving your climbing that doesn't involve tinkering with your rig. Hope this doesn't come across as rude but losing some weight may well pay dividends. If you're increasing your mileage then shedding some pounds might follow. Increased mileage will also build strength which always helps. There's also some specific training you can do to help with climbing. Strengthening your glutes for example using weight machines or floor exercises.

As for spinning out a 50x11 going downhill...careful now. You must be going crazy fucking fast already. You want to go faster?!?

Personally, unless I'm in a road race, I rarely pedal at all going downhill. Freewheeling is plenty fast for me.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

With a 50/11 you need to increase cadence to speed up, that's a faster gear than many pros used to ride.
If you're new try to focus on increasing your cadence and this will help your fitness.
Again with a 30/28 should be able to get you up almost anything its just a question of fitness...its difficult to go much lower without actually using MTB parts

Forbez | 8 years ago
0 likes

Actually it may be 105 set

Latest Comments