Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Save cycling in Regent's Park: petition

Without the park, I don't see how I could or would have started cycling again as an adult in this busy old town, let alone learned how to control my TT bike or got into some semblance of "shape". Basically, there's nowhere else in central London to get a proper workout.

Now they are trying to ruin it forever, as part of a deal between the Royal Parks and TfL. Speed bumps to "stop those speeding lycra louts", despite the speed limit being 30mph, and despite the fact that the money for this is going to come from .. wait for it .. TfL's CYCLING budget. £1.4 million of it in fact.

I know that this might be a bit Londoncentric but Sir Brad got quick by riding laps there and he's not just the TT Champion of London is he.

Please share on social media and sign. Thank you.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/106967

Twitter @rpcyclists

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/regentsparkcycling

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

HeadInTheClouds | 8 years ago
0 likes

Signed. Even if you don't live in London we would appreciate your support.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

It means that Regent's Park is just like the rest of the UK.
What's your point, caller?

hampstead_bandit | 8 years ago
0 likes

I see motorists speeding all the time in regent's park, and very little Police enforcement - in addition to many motorists driving into the ASL after traffic lights have changed to red, often pulling up alongside cyclists waiting on the left in the ASL!

If I am on my road bike going along at 30-35 km/h and I see cars passing at twice the speed, what does that mean?

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Been done; http://road.cc/content/forum/154912-cs11-plans-regents-park

...and I wasn't that impressed last time.

..and 'Sir Brad got quick by riding laps there'?

Do give over...

Bedfordshire Clanger | 8 years ago
0 likes

Does anyone have a link to the actual plans for this? The outer ring is hardly in need of traffic calming measures. The road is not busy and is nice and wide. It hardly needs to be part of the super highway network as anyone who can use Regents Park to commute by bike already does and no special provisions to cycle on the roads there are required. The combination of quiet road, Georgian architecture and giraffes is a compelling draw for the discerning cyclist. It is a haven for cycle training in central London and was a big draw for pre-work miles for me when I lived in Hackney and worked in the West End. If they really wanted to benefit cyclists they would remove the two completely unnecessary sets of lights that govern the junctions by the mosque and on the south side entrance to the inner ring and convert the pelican crossings to zebra.

Oh, and there may not be any hills but it isn't pan flat. If you want to keep an even pace, there is a real leg burner headed north and free speed going south. Great fun. I would want to see it ruined by sleeping policemen but I'd hope that there would be provision for cyclists to avoid them.

LondonDynaslow replied to Bedfordshire Clanger | 8 years ago
0 likes

Nothing has been published yet as we are still at pre-consultation where the Parks are talking to stakeholders. But we know the Parks want full width cobbled raised platforms through junctions, crossings and at pedestrian islands, and that they want to use TfL's cycling budget for it as a quid pro quo for agreeing to let CS11 go through Regent's.

You're right that it's not totally flat, and I regularly get dropped on the "hill". You'd still have to be trying pretty hard to hit 30mph for more than a few metres past the Mosque if you ever come across a green light!

If I may say so, I agree 100% with your first para. It's not even as if there will be any segregation because that would not be "heritage compliant". At Buckingham Palance, the Parks were at first willing to make cyclists traverse the 4 lane gyratory or get off and push - in Regent's we just have to go through the park, which is already a nice ride and could be made even better by ANPR cameras and/or gate closures to stop rat runners.

None of this makes any sense.

Bedfordshire Clanger wrote:

Does anyone have a link to the actual plans for this? The outer ring is hardly in need of traffic calming measures. The road is not busy and is nice and wide. It hardly needs to be part of the super highway network as anyone who can use Regents Park to commute by bike already does and no special provisions to cycle on the roads there are required. The combination of quiet road, Georgian architecture and giraffes is a compelling draw for the discerning cyclist. It is a haven for cycle training in central London and was a big draw for pre-work miles for me when I lived in Hackney and worked in the West End. If they really wanted to benefit cyclists they would remove the two completely unnecessary sets of lights that govern the junctions by the mosque and on the south side entrance to the inner ring and convert the pelican crossings to zebra.

Oh, and there may not be any hills but it isn't pan flat. If you want to keep an even pace, there is a real leg burner headed north and free speed going south. Great fun. I would want to see it ruined by sleeping policemen but I'd hope that there would be provision for cyclists to avoid them.

farrell | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm at a loss with this one, could you provide a bit more information as to what the anti-cycling measures the Royal Parks want to put in place?

What are the 'multiple raised platforms'? Are there any plans or pictures of them?

Scoob_84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

done & best of luck

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

SO I clicked on this thinking they were going to ban cycling but in fact it is speed restriction measures. Well I agree with them for cars and normal roads, why not cycling ?

We can not moan at motorists speeding then say OK for us.

On the petition link it says at no time cycling will be banned does it ?

LondonDynaslow replied to ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

No, it is proposed as the route of CS11, and it is proposed to misuse over £1m of public money set aside for cycling for the deliberate purpose of stopping sports cyclists training there.

We are right to complain about speeding motorists (although actually it is not a serious problem in Regent's Park, to the extent that it occurs, can be solved more effectively by gate closures, some Seimens SafeZone ANPR cameras measuring average speeds, and generally enforcing the law). There is no double standard, because cyclists aren't speeding in the park. The speed limit is and will remain 30mph limit on what is an almost pan-flat loop with traffic lights, junctions and corners.

mrmo | 8 years ago
0 likes

and drivers never speed.... FFS, quite telling the UKs attitude when the EU hold a transport conference on cycling and the UK can't be arsed to attend.

https://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/uk-won-t-be-at-first-ever-cycling-summ...

Latest Comments