Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

OK for London, why not the rest of us ?

this is a positive step forward

BBC News (UK) @BBCNews

VIDEO: London bans 'unsafe lorries' bbc.in/1PIgN2y

But I ask the question if OK to ban in London and in effect make illegal why not the rest of the country ? Why is it that as soon as you step outside the precious M25 these Lorries are then deemed 'safe'.

Surely if London can ban them then the ban should actually be made across the UK. After doing many miles recently on the M5 I have concluded the driving standards of lorry drivers are appalling. But as usual in this so called 'one nation' only London is deemed good enough to have measures imposed.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

37 comments

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Jon lets look at some of that

"The density of people, traffic, and commuters is on a completely different scale in London compared to much of the rest of the UK - it's not a relatively compact centre with urban sprall. To do anything at all gets VERY expensive very quickly, and in spades in the case of Crossrail. "

Or is it that public bodies and others allow the costs to escalate. Look at the Olympic staduim now and the £650M spent on Wembley. So London is more expensive, you could say centralising everything in London causes this, spend even more, attract even more etc.

But the key thing for this debate

"joint TfL and DfT-funded Industrial HGV Taskforce (IHTF). "

So it is a money issue, TFL has shed loads of cash, far more than Centro, GM etc. This can only be enforced by using money to enforce it. You need the people on the streets to catch lorries.

If this comes from money from DFT then that is central money and if it is OK for London to recieve central money to enforce it why not all urban centres ?

Every time we see extra cash being spent in London there is always a reason or excuse for it. But in this case the regulation could easily be country wide if not a money issue ?? Esp if it is DFT sanctioned which is a NATIONAL body and not like TFL which is a regional body.

As to Birmingham/London debate, some figures last year showed more and more people moving to Birmingham from London because of the housing costs and is a reason supporters of HS2 use.

sergius replied to ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes
ianrobo wrote:

As to Birmingham/London debate, some figures last year showed more and more people moving to Birmingham from London because of the housing costs and is a reason supporters of HS2 use.

But, but, you'd have to live in *Birmingham*  13

Nothing useful to add really; other than I don't think you'd find many cyclists, based in London or otherwise, who would argue against spending money on cycling schemes all over the country - the more the better IMO. I'd hesitate to assume there is some kind of conspiracy against everywhere outside of the M25 - I think we just suffer from uneven devolution.

Scoob_84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I made this point elsewhere, but could you imagine the uproar if Local authorities based in London started automatically changing the rules for other local authorities because Londoners wanted change in their areas.  24

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Get this right teaboy I fully support 100% what London have done with everything, the infrastructure, these rules etc.

Yes some designs could be better etc but the general mood is correct.

What I am saying is that London can only do this because of the vast amount of money. For example to police the Lorry ban, we could not do it here, not enough police etc.

How can we campaign for something that money can not allow to happen here and elsewhere ?

It is a money issue pure and simple, as I showed with the links, London has the cash to do these things and police them.

teaboy replied to ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes
ianrobo wrote:

Get this right teaboy I fully support 100% what London have done with everything, the infrastructure, these rules etc.

What I am saying is that London can only do this because of the vast amount of money. For example to police the Lorry ban, we could not do it here, not enough police etc.

How can we campaign for something that money can not allow to happen here and elsewhere ?

It is a money issue pure and simple, as I showed with the links, London has the cash to do these things and police them.

I'm not really sure what you want. Would you rather the money spent on cycle infra in London was spread really thinly across the country? How would that actually get anything on the ground? How many people would it help? Surely it's better to get something good down *somewhere* that will show that it's possible, doesn't cause the end of the world and actually encourages people to ride. At the moment that place is London, but other places are already following. Look at what's happening in Leicester - some decent-looking protected infrastructure being built there at the moment. I agree that funding needs to increase, and the LCC and others are campaigning for that nationally.

These lorry changes are not publicly-funded. It's perfectly possible to campaign for stuff before funding is in place - the #space4cycling campaign is doing just that. When campaigning works, funding is found.

JonD replied to ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes
ianrobo wrote:

No, it's not a money issue, it's one of getting the regulations through.

If you think there'll be a 'vast amount of money', think again. The Met have various road campaigns from time-to-time, this was probably just one of various spot-checks, and was the day the new regulations come in.

"The scheme will operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and will be enforced by the police, the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency and the joint TfL and DfT-funded Industrial HGV Taskforce (IHTF). "

from https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press-releases/2015/february/mayor-con...

It's all very well complaining about devolution, but the reality is it can be easier to get things through on a local level...plus if it relied on Government (particularly the current one) it'd probably just get stalled - which can be an advantage of devolution - eg article on bbc breakfast this morning, Scotland NHS fund air ambulances, England/Wales are charity-based, N. Ireland doesn't have one.

In the 27-odd yrs I've lived in Greater London (2 near the new Olympic Park when it was Eastway, the balance nr Kingston/N Surrey) it's not so much 'London getting all the infrastructure' as general - and gradual - renewal on the whole. Some of the main infrastructure changes have been the result of redevelopment - eg Docklands/DLR, N Greenwich/Jubilee Line. Crossrail1/2 more recently to ease cross-city travel and free up other parts of the network.

It's worth bearing mind that traditionally tube changes in London have been **very** slow to occur as employment numbers wander up and down, prior to the Jubilee Line extention and DLR I don't think it had changed much for decades..

But it's very easy to spot a feature eg http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/aug/07/london-gets-24-time...
and get up in arms about it, but simply looking at numbers misses the point.

The density of people, traffic, and commuters is on a completely different scale in London compared to much of the rest of the UK - it's not a relatively compact centre with urban sprall. To do anything at all gets VERY expensive very quickly, and in spades in the case of Crossrail.

Outside of the centre the only infrastructure projects I can recall in the last 20-odd years are a Croydon tramway. FWIW once you get out of the outermost travelcard zone 6 (where I used to live) ticket prices/travelcards get a lot more expensive because of the train operators...and a lot of people travel in from outside zone 6. Where I am - only a few miles away from zone 6 - I have to use the train (min fare 3.50-4.50) to get the few stops into zone 6, and bus services here outside the zone are very patchy - more akin to the 'Midlands Red' network in/around Brum (well, that's what it was 30yrs ago). Where I used to live I was *just* at the end on one night service route, here - nada.

Locally in Kingston there's some 'mini holland' initiative going on, but it remains to be seen how that winds up after the Tories took control of the council from the Libdems..

Whilst I agree with 'why can't it be done everywhere' it's less about money and more about the ability to do so, plus it's not all sweetness and light once you get out of the centre...

Oh, and as a Brummie I spent most of my first 25yrs there, apart from 3 in Manchester, so I have a reasonable idea of Brum travel *used* to be like, at anyrate  1

teaboy | 8 years ago
0 likes
ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Stumps, I have been to Sydney, Paris, New York, Madrid and worked in London.

I like London as a place, I like the people I worked with and the transport/tube did what it needed to to get me from Birmingham to Tower Hill on time etc.

However in terms of the UK London has it all. Every time a major expense is down there it is always justified by the need to be a great city. Well why can not Manchester. Birmingham etc be that ?

But to do that we need the cash and then we can build CSH's, we can do all the things that London can.

In terms of this thread surely the same rule London wants can be applied across the country as a road regulation, why just London ?

0 likes
ianrobo wrote:

In terms of this thread surely the same rule London wants can be applied across the country as a road regulation, why just London ?

Because people in London campaigned for it, and those in charge of implementing the rules locally changed the requirements.

ianrobo replied to teaboy | 8 years ago
0 likes
teaboy wrote:
ianrobo wrote:

Because people in London campaigned for it, and those in charge of implementing the rules locally changed the requirements.

So London got the rules changed just for them when they could be done elsewhere. Why not change the campaign to one across the whole of the UK, it is devolution that causes this kind of nonsense.

typical I am OK now in London the rest of you sort yourselves out.

thatcher's children

0 likes
ianrobo wrote:
teaboy wrote:
ianrobo wrote:

So London got the rules changed just for them when they could be done elsewhere. Why not change the campaign to one across the whole of the UK, it is devolution that causes this kind of nonsense.

typical I am OK now in London the rest of you sort yourselves out.

thatcher's children

I agree - they should be changed elsewhere, but because of how the country works(!?!) politically this was an issue that my local government has a say in.

Did you campaign to change the rules in London, or did you let us "sort ourselves out"? Post a link to your local campaign petitioning for the same thing and we'll sign it, share it and help.

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Here is another one from 2011

http://www.ippr.org/news-and-media/press-releases/transport-spend-per-he...

Independent body on purely transport spend look at the massive gap even wider. This is not even a party thing as whether Blue, red or yellow the same applies.

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Look at the facts guys

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/aug/07/london-gets-24-time...

This is infrastructure in total of which transport and cycling is part of it. Look at teh massive gap in spending per head of population. It is not that we don;t want to do these things outside of London, it is the FACT we have no cash to do it !

Shall I mention the public funds for the Garden Bridge then ?

Scoob_84 | 8 years ago
0 likes

can't believe this website sometimes. Every time a cyclist dies we collectively complain that something needs doing. Campaigners campaign in their area and get things sorted. People from outside the area then complain that the campaigners didn;t fix the problem in their area.

Then we get a load of other nonsense unrelated to the topic that London is apparently shit, but gets everything and the rest of the UK is much better.

ianrobo replied to Scoob_84 | 8 years ago
0 likes
Scoob_84 wrote:

can't believe this website sometimes. Every time a cyclist dies we collectively complain that something needs doing. Campaigners campaign in their area and get things sorted. People from outside the area then complain that the campaigners didn;t fix the problem in their area.

Then we get a load of other nonsense unrelated to the topic that London is apparently shit, but gets everything and the rest of the UK is much better.

no you miss the point totally. London can do it because it has the cash because it gets so much more per head of population. If London spending on trasnport per head was the same as Birmingham, Manchester or Liverpool London would not be able to do it.

London gets all these things because our whole country is London centric. That is the facts you surely acknowledge ?

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Have you actually read my posts. I am not jealous of London, I am very pissed off that London gets more resources per head of population than the rest of us does.

If London had the same transport spending as us you would not have the cash to do these things. I want fairness for us all and not for one part of the country. you don;t get this in other countries do you ?

crazy-legs replied to ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes
ianrobo wrote:

Have you actually read my posts. I am not jealous of London, I am very pissed off that London gets more resources per head of population than the rest of us does.

The self-fulfilling problem is that London is one of THE cities of the world so infrastructure improvements need to be carried out as a matter of urgency compared to anywhere else.
You could pour billions of pounds into infrastructure in (eg) Dundee but the returns on that would be peanuts compared to putting that same amount of money to work in London. Which is then Catch-22 in that money for elsewhere is severely restricted and you end up with London soaking up all the jobs and money.

London transport is far from perfect but it is still miles ahead of anywhere else in the UK.
Regular and comparatively cheap trains, buses and Tube. Excellent bike hire scheme.

Stumps replied to crazy-legs | 8 years ago
0 likes
crazy-legs wrote:

[

The self-fulfilling problem is that London is one of THE cities of the world so infrastructure improvements need to be carried out as a matter of urgency compared to anywhere else.
London transport is far from perfect but it is still miles ahead of anywhere else in the UK.
Regular and comparatively cheap trains, buses and Tube. Excellent bike hire scheme.[/quote]

I think your wrong there mate. London is not one of the top cities in the world, we (as in the people of london) only think that. Take away the monarchy then the visitor numbers are pretty poor compared to other world cities - latest figures show that over 50% of visitors to London only come to see the monarchy.
As for transport the north east has the metro system which is viewed by other cities as the best in the country in relation to cost, availability and quality of travel.

0 likes
ianrobo wrote:

If London had the same transport spending as us you would not have the cash to do these things. I want fairness for us all and not for one part of the country. you don;t get this in other countries do you ?

Of course you get it in other countries. The TdF finishes in Paris every year. They have the French Open tennis in Paris, and the national football and rugby stadiums there too. Large events tend to happen in capital cities - that's kind of the point of having capital cities!

There isn't a race to the bottom - just because local government in other parts of the country aren't implementing good(ish) cycling plans it doesn't mean London shouldn't either.

jollygoodvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you're so jealous of London why don't you come and live here? Every other moaning whinging git is here already, and it's sh#t.

Look, these new regs are a victory for safety, for tireless campaigning in the face of huge, well funded and well established vested interests, and above all for cycling. Are they the be-all and end-all, no. Are they going to save lives, yes.

Getting this rule in London means that the people who make the laws can see what a difference it makes, because Parliament is in London, because it's the nation's capital. And that means it's more likely to get rolled out everywhere. You want your own local byelaws: campaign for them. Make your MP's life a misery until they batter down the door of the DfT begging for it to be law. That's democracy.

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Stumps excellent point on the pro races. The TDF finishing in London was a farce but no one questions it as apparently everyone wants to go there.

Give another example in sportives. You may know I have done a fair few around the country, crossing some great places and rides. Yet for some reason I am told by many that Ride London up box hill is the best. What rubbish, do the rides I have done in Wales and tell me riding in the BRecons, Snowdonia or the Valley's is worse than that ?

Who the hell thinks a top sportive is one where a slight stoppage on a hill causes so many to dismount ?

Besides Box hill is not even that hard ... try Long Mynd, Horsehoe pass or Pen Y Bas .....

Fred Whitton anyone ?

Stumps | 8 years ago
0 likes

ianrobo is right, everything has to revolve around london, whether its money being pumped into it or infrastructure changes or even cycling races they have to have their name on it.

A perfect example was the TdF last year. Yorkshire win the rights to stage the grand depart but we have to have a stage ending in london, the same goes for the tour of britain. Its a bit sickening when you want to watch a stage and its every few years that you get a chance of of it coming local whereas london gets the chance every year.

Its no different with football either, all the national games have to be held at the white elephant of wembley even the semi's and finals of cup comps have to be held there.

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

spot on teaboy we do.

and the local politicans here have let us down (of all colours) when it comes to lobbying for the cash. Compare Manchester Metro with ours ??

However the fact remains in terms of spending for head London has had far greater resources. This has allowed them to make more decisions.

For example we have to cut bus routes with subsidies and yet in London night buses, 24 hour tube etc all have the case to subsidise loss making routes etc.

So when it comes to allocation of money TFL and the Mayor (whether Ken or Boris) have had far greater choice what to do with the money as they have more of it.

This is not anti London I state again but anti the allocation of resources and different political rules for London as against the rest of the country

fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yep - but we won't get joined up thinking until we have a national plan and that ain't happening any time soon. I was mainly addressing your point "Yes london has spent millions on infrastructure, seen nothing here of trickle down from it."

ianrobo replied to fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:

Yep - but we won't get joined up thinking until we have a national plan and that ain't happening any time soon.

no it is not and the undemocractic so called devolution we are seeing is only going to make things worse. We are a small country on a Island, not the US and we need a consistent policy all over the UK for education/Health etc and yes transport for us to be successful as we all want on this forum.

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

no I don;t blame London mate, I blame the allocation of resources to London .. They get enough resources to have a cheap modern efficient public bus service, what do we get in the West Midlands, fares double the cost of London and falling bus use.

what London is doing is great for cycling, fantastic, I love the plans on Lorries and the CSH's. What I want is for the whole country to have the same ...

Instead we see in Birmingham the council funds will be cut by a further 20% in November ...

0 likes
ianrobo wrote:

no I don;t blame London mate, I blame the allocation of resources to London.

what London is doing is great for cycling, fantastic, I love the plans on Lorries and the CSH's. What I want is for the whole country to have the same ...

Instead we see in Birmingham the council funds will be cut by a further 20% in November ...

We in London want that too, remember! Also, this isn't something that's being 'given' but the result of 2 years' campaigning and about 20 deaths at the hands of HGVs in that time. I don't even think it's funded by anyone, just a requirement that businesses have to suck up.

Like I said earlier, you have to start somewhere when it comes to infrastructure, and I'd really like Birmingham to start somewhere too.  1 What's your local Cycling Campaign group like? Have a look at the Stop Killing Cyclists facebook page too.

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

But the point is that traffic rules have to apply nationwide, more cyclists cycle outside of London than in it. We all need the same protections it seems Londoners will have.

I never believe in the political theory of trickle down at all. Yes london has spent millions on infrastructure, seen nothing here of trickle down from it.

In the NL or France the same infrastructure can be found across the country not just where the capital is.

fukawitribe replied to ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes
ianrobo wrote:

But the point is that traffic rules have to apply nationwide, more cyclists cycle outside of London than in it. We all need the same protections it seems Londoners will have.

I never believe in the political theory of trickle down at all. Yes london has spent millions on infrastructure, seen nothing here of trickle down from it.

In the NL or France the same infrastructure can be found across the country not just where the capital is.

Money has gone out nationally but we don't have a national plan of action - we could argue the amount and number of areas that money has gone to for sure, but the point is it has and so is invariably up to the receiving authority to make sure it's spent in the manner it was intended or at least in a sensible fashion. If it doesn't - i'm not entirely sure we could blame 'London' (whatever that means) for all the failures.

700c | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes these construction lorries should be fitted with the safety features wherever they drive.

However rather than it being a south-centric conspiracy, the focus on London is understandable for a number of reasons:

It's been disproportionately affected by cyclist deaths from Construction lorries in particular, it has a high proportion of cyclists commuting, a large amount of Construction work taking place etc. Governance is also a factor: The Mayor of London has a lot more power and can work with organisations such as the MET, TfL and can effect change better than his counterparts elsewhere. The existing infrastructure & governance means enforcement is more likely to be possible here and result in a reduction in casualty rates.

Nevertheless I definitely think the government and DfT should specify this as a national requirement. I do wonder if this is being 'trialed' in London first before (hopefully) a national roll-out? Or perhaps just because Boris is pushing that agenda.

Pages

Latest Comments