Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannondale Synapse Carbon clicking

I have a Cannondale Synapse, and its clicking I think from the headset. I've taken the bearings out and they are rusty but run smooth, I have refitted them with fresh grease etc but there is still a click, would the rust cause the clicking and does anybody know what size the bearings are? Thanks for any advice.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

IanEdward | 8 years ago
0 likes

I recently had a crazy amount of clicking coming from the headset/handlebar area.

I removed the bars and cleaned all the clamping surfaces, greased the threads of the bolts and reinstalled taking particular care as to how I tightened the bolts.

This solved my particular problem, I guessed that all the sweat I had dripped on the handlebar stem during a week in the Alps had caused it!

hampstead_bandit | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi chalky I replaced all the spacers as the original ones neither fitted the stem nor top cap very well!

Jacobi | 8 years ago
0 likes

Dunno if this will be of any help. I had a clicking problem with my Giant. Like you, I thought it was coming from the headset, and, like you, I re-greased the bearings but the clicking persisted.

I took it to my LBS. After a few turns the guy traced it to the cable-end housing on the top tube. It was simply a case of the cable being fitted far too tightly and every time the handlebars were turned it caused the cable-end to click in the housing.

Edit: Try releasing or slackening the cable then turning the bars to see if it persists.

Chalky71 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I never thought about the spacers, they are the type you describe with the 3 little nodes, I have it set up with all the spacers under the stem, did you put one on top just to suit you or solve the click. Thanks for the help.

hampstead_bandit | 8 years ago
0 likes

My new Cannondale was clicking from the front end when pedalling hard and I tracked it down to the stock carbon fibre stem spacers which were the 'reduced' style (the inside milled away leaving 3 points of contact) after I noticed these had a poor contact / fit against the underneath of the stem, and the stem cap. (I setup the bike with spacers under stem, and on top of stem).

The only item I've changed were the spacers, to "solid" carbon fibre spacers, and the clicking went away  1

On my previous bike, I've also had cable outers developing clicking when turning the bars, replaced these and no problem again.

Chalky71 replied to hampstead_bandit | 8 years ago
0 likes

I never thought about the spacers, they are the type you describe with the 3 little nodes, I have it set up with all the spacers under the stem, did you put one on top just to suit you or solve the click. Thanks for the help.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've also had the cable housings click which needed a regrease of the inners and where they locate in the frame.
Also had the stem/bar interface click which needed new bars to fix...
Both times I thought it was the headset bearings that were knackered but they ran smooth when I had removed them.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've also had the cable housings click which needed a regrease of the inners and where they locate in the frame.
Also had the stem/bar interface click which needed new bars to fix...
Both times I thought it was the headset bearings that were knackered but they ran smooth when I had removed them.

Chalky71 replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cheers will try that.

kev-s | 8 years ago
0 likes

All headset/bike bearings are not made by the bike manufacturer but are generally off the shelf bearings so can be bought from bearing suppliers

Remove the bearings and you should see a code on them

Take the bearing to a local bearing stockist like BRT Bearings and they should be able to match them up

http://www.brt-bearings.com/index.php

Should work out cheaper and be a bit quicker

foot_loose | 8 years ago
0 likes

Try Qwerty cycles. They sell Cannondale bearings. Bought some myself recently.

Chalky71 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the info and link, they just sell a complete headset, but will email them to see if they do the bearings on their own. It does click when pressure is put on the bars, undulations etc. Thanks again.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Have a look here to see what parts are required

http://www.cannondalespares.com/Cannondale-Headsets/product_subcategory/34

Bearings if rusty could click, grind under load but feel Ok in the hand. Best practice is change them out lubricate all surfaces and see what happens

Latest Comments