Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Packing Cleats

Looking for some advice please  7

I have recently started trying to use cleats. I have some SPD pedals on my commuter bike and am getting pain after about 10k on the outside edge of my soles - particularly on the right foot. Both my feet want to sit angled on the bike - that is my feet turn inwards so the ball of my foot is higher than the outside edge of my feet and it is more pronounced on the right side. I have added cleat wedges and inshoe wedges and it has improved quite a bit but I still need to go further.

The cleat wedges appear to be a bit soft and compress so that they lose some of the benefits very quickly, so my question (eventually...) is has any one experimented and had any success with packing cleats with anything else like washers etc? Are there any significant issues with this? The only comments I can find online from searches was someone packing with a paper clips!

Thanks  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Podc | 8 years ago
0 likes

Had the fitting today and it was a very interesting experience.

Saddle has been raised 5cm!!  17

Felt brilliant on the trainer and is way beyond anything I would have tried.

Foot issue has been diagnosed as extremely tight specific muscles in my calf and details are going to emailed to me so I can share with a local sports massage lady for targeted treatment. Have also been given instructions on pedalling technique.

Great service from Athlete Services in Henley - very informative and friendly and very reasonable price.

Podc | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Simontuck. I am back on flats for now but will take a box of pedals and shoes to the fitting.

Simontuck | 8 years ago
0 likes

The Spd can not be adjusted as much as road cleats like the spd-sl or look Keo, it's only a tiny clear and it's generally recessed. I have a couple of shims on one side, and 3 shims and a wedge on the other, added by a proper fitter and it took ages. I defo got my money's worth and my legs are now straight and strong, I couldn't have got very close using videos and mags. You can't put power sideways through your knee and expect to not get an injury sooner rather than later.

Podc | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. I did try 105 pedals and road shoes first, but had the same issues.

Have booked myself in for a bike fit in a couple of weeks.

Simontuck | 8 years ago
0 likes

Get some road cleats. They are a lot easier to wedge and shim. Get a proper bike fit done, should be around £150 plus cost of cleats/wedges on top. You will feel more stable and be able to push through your knee. You will also not tire so quickly. Fighting against sideways forces causes amazing amounts of wasted energy. When I see guys with their knees out in the wind it makes me cringe!

Judge dreadful | 8 years ago
0 likes

Get a pair of (cleated) shoes, and have a proper 'balls and braces' bike fit done. You won't need to pack the cleats, if they are fitted with the pedals/ bike accounted for with a proper fitting.

Latest Comments