Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road cable disc brake calipers

Hi all,

Having just managed to snap(!) the pivot arm off my front caliper (Promax Render-R), I find myself in need of new brakes.
The brakes would be going on a 2015 Cannondale Caadx Tiagra, so 160mm front and 140mm rear discs.

I'm thinking something like Shimano CX-77 or am I better off going for something like TRP Hy-Rd?

Cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

barbarus | 8 years ago
0 likes

So how are the Hy-Rds? Big improvement or not so much?

GingerNinja1989 replied to barbarus | 8 years ago
0 likes
barbarus wrote:

Should have 'em fitted tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted  1

GingerNinja1989 replied to GingerNinja1989 | 8 years ago
0 likes
GingerNinja1989 wrote:
barbarus wrote:

Should have 'em fitted tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted  1

Had a couple of rides on them now. All good. Really powerful (compared to the Renders) and lever throw doesn't seem as bad as many reviews seem to make out.

Thanks again for the help and advice everyone.

KiwiMike replied to GingerNinja1989 | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you are using 'wavy' rotors - ditch 'em. You don't need mud shedding on a roadbike, and the wavy cutouts just create noise and weaken the feel. Fitting Hayes continuous rotors over the standard TRP wavy ones made a huge difference.

And yes, both were set up correctly and burnt in.

barbarus | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi ginger, that was what I meant to imply; Internet messages don't always read like I want them too. All I meant to say is that the link suggests that there's no physical reason why you can't use 140s but it's not a good plan  1

0 likes
barbarus wrote:

Hi ginger, that was what I meant to imply; Internet messages don't always read like I want them too. All I meant to say is that the link suggests that there's no physical reason why you can't use 140s but it's not a good plan  1

My fault, didn't read your message properly!

barbarus | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm also looking to upgrade from renders; I looked into the juins; they say you can run 140s. They just don't recommend it due to heat build up. Check this link for more info
http://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/index.php/juin-tech-r1-hydraulic-cable...

0 likes
barbarus wrote:

I'm also looking to upgrade from renders; I looked into the juins; they say you can run 140s. They just don't recommend it due to heat build up. Check this link for more info
http://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/index.php/juin-tech-r1-hydraulic-cable...

That link seems to suggest that it is a bad idea to run 140mm discs... I ended up getting the Hy/Rds because there is a 140mm option for those (couldn't find them in the UK, but found them on a German website).

joemmo | 8 years ago
0 likes

The cx77 (and BR517 : same brake different paint) work very well in my experience. Downside is that they need 3 different sized ale keys to adjust them but otherwise they Re effective and low maintenance. Regarding the rotor size, that is mostly determined by the mount on the frame so if you have a 140 on the back then it shouldn't be a problem. You can use an adapter to size up To a larger rotor but not down.

antigee | 8 years ago
0 likes

"However, am I right in thinking that the Hy-Rds are worth the extra dosh?"

I got fed up with adjusting BB7's and despite being a bit cynical about a combined cable/hydraulic system I ignore my unfounded prejudice in favour of all the good reviews - my opinion was well worth the extra - you get a lot more performance than the extra cost - feel similar to full hydro on my MTB

Don't leave your bike upside down though - I did after getting a lift home with it wheel less on back seat - next day there was a horrible whistling noise when turned the right way up - checked and apparently they do vent to the air and will suffer if left upside down

EDIT ***as above on the Juin (which get good review) need to check if will work with 140mm, mine came with 2 x 160mm rotors possibly because that's what I ordered or it may be no 140mm option**

GingerNinja1989 replied to antigee | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the advice everyone - gone and bought me a set of Hy-Rds  16

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Go full shimano hydro

GingerNinja1989 replied to CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd love to but I'm not fancying stumping up £silly on levers as well as calipers.

rmacneil | 8 years ago
0 likes

Juin Tech R1s get a good write up and look a bit neater than the TRPs. Also a bit cheaper.

GingerNinja1989 replied to rmacneil | 8 years ago
0 likes

Apparently the Juin brakes aren't compatible with 140mm discs, although I can't think of a reason why that might be!

rmacneil replied to GingerNinja1989 | 8 years ago
0 likes
GingerNinja1989 wrote:

Apparently the Juin brakes aren't compatible with 140mm discs, although I can't think of a reason why that might be!

It could be that the calliper offset is sufficiently large that the pads don't contact a 140mm rotor even if they're bolted directly to the mount without an adapter.

GingerNinja1989 replied to rmacneil | 8 years ago
0 likes

Didn't think of that - clearly I'm a bit dim...

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hy-rd if you don't mind the look (I think they're kinda butt ugly). Then after that bid say the grp spyre as it pushes the pads from both sides instead I'd just one like the shimano and avid bb7 brakes.

GingerNinja1989 replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Forgot about the Spyres - cheers for the heads up.
However, am I right in thinking that the Hy-Rds are worth the extra dosh?

Latest Comments