Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Renting a road bike for UWCT race in Denmark

I'm looking to rent a road bike for a week, including for traveling to Denmark for a 100 mile race (on Sept 5th). Does anyone have suggestions on who I could rent from?

The only thing I've found so far that looks decent is a Trek Madone 3.5 (£175/wk) available from http://www.onyourbike.com/product/11614-Birmingham--Trek-Super-Deluxe-Ro... but I have no idea how they'd feel about me racing the bike in Denmark, or even if they have a bike available.

Thanks for any help / suggestions!

Terry

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Mystery Machine | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi Terry. Are you flying in to Copenhagen?

I was there with a couple of family members at the end of July. British Airways failed to deliver one of our bike boxes when we arrived. It didn't turn up until 36 hours after we arrived, which was pretty damn stressful, though fortunately we had planned to spend a couple of nights in Copenhagen before setting off up the coast (on bikes).

We spent some time looking for an alternative source of decent bikes. Most hire places seemed to stock fairly basic sit-up-and-beg models for the tourists, but we did find one shop that stocked road bikes and visited to see what they could offer. They were pretty helpful, fairly easy to locate and the road bikes looked good, so you could think about giving them a try if you want an alternative to taking a bike from the UK.

In the end we didn't need to use one of their bikes, because of the missing one being delivered to us, but if I were heading back there, I would seriously considering using them to source a road bike.

Website here: http://copenhagenbicycles.dk/rent/

The Kuota shown on their website, which I also saw when we visited the shop, looked like a pretty sweet ride, and I don't think there are all that many places that hire carbon frames.

Good luck with the race!

terrycojones replied to Mystery Machine | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi, thanks for the reply - sounds good, but unfortunately I'm flying into Aalborg. If I didn't have a plane ticket already, I could try some other options, but I'm arriving the afternoon before the day of the race and wouldn't like to leave things that late even if I could find a local place with a good bike.

Thanks again - glad to hear your trip got sorted out. If the bike I take gets lost for 36 hours by Lufthansa, it's really going to suck!

Terry

Strathbean | 8 years ago
0 likes

Ahh, thats a sore one! That's exactly the same position I was in, bikebox hired etc.
I'd take the madone you linked to, it might not be as good as your own bike but I'd be surprised if you can rent a much better bike at relatively short notice and it's then one less thing to worry about.
I probably don't need to say it, but make sure you fit your own saddle/pedals etc and spend a bit of time getting your set up right before your event, I ended up rolling once around a car park on a totally unfamiliar bike then rather foolishly did a long distance race on it, my knees were wrecked.
Enjoy Denmark

terrycojones replied to Strathbean | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks again!

Strathbean | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's maybe not much help directly, but I was in a similar situation about a month ago when my own bike broke a few days before I went to norway for an event. I found it hard to find a place that rented decent road bikes, particularly as I need an xl frame one. I ended up having to take a pretty low spec bike as it was the only one I could find, but it was better than no bike!

The deal you have at £175/wk is pretty much on-the-money for week hires I think and a madone 3.5 is a fairly good machine for a hire place to be handing out.
The place I hired from had no issue with where I took it or what I did with it, just as long as I brought it back untrashed.

You could try and source a bike in Denmark, it'd save you the hassle of transporting it and the excess baggage charge... but you might be a bit pushed for time to get that arranged.

terrycojones replied to Strathbean | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hey - thanks! I did have a quick look around for a Danish option, but that doesn't seem so easy. Besides, I have plane tickets bought (to arrive the afternoon before the race day), including a bike box, so a UK-sourced bike is probably the only option.

In my case, I found out late that disc brakes are not allowed in UCI events...  2

Thanks again.

terrycojones | 8 years ago
0 likes

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm in the UK (Cambridge).

Latest Comments