Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mavic Ksyrium SL 2006/7 vintage. Time to update? And to what?

I've a pair of Mavic Ksyrium SLs on my bike. I'm thinking they're 2006/2007 vintage (got them on a 2nd hand bike 7 years ago). They wouldn't have huge mileage on them (by me at least, <10000 km)
They're still true and freewheel better than most I see on the road so my only thoughts are how old is too old and if they are due to retire what would be the current equivalent?
Would the Ksyrium Pros be the right buy? http://www.mavic.com/wheels-road-triathlon-ksyrium-pro

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Mike Cotty | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hi Guys,

What you do need to be mindful of is how worn the braking surface is. The recommended limit is 0.4mm on each side of the rim so if it's more than that they should be retired (you can use a depth gauge to check). If you wear the thickness of the braking surface too thin (something to look out for on all rims) then the internal air pressure can cause the rim to fail.

@Hagi. Ksyrium Pro's would be a good equivalent if you're looking to replace them.

Hope that helps.

Ride safe.

Mike

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

I was just talking to one of my cycling friends only yesterday about Mavic Kysium wheels. I bought some Elites recently for a new bike build I have done about 3000 miles on them so far and IMO they are brilliant. My mate is still riding a pair of SLs that he bought when they first came out which by his reckoning is around 10 years ago. They are still true and going strong despite doing somewhere in the region of 30 - 40000 miles. No, your wheels are not old enough to retire !

hagi replied to Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

That's great to hear! Thanks!

Latest Comments