Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

BB30 Adapters?

Hello all,

I'm looking at dumping my BB30 bottom bracket in favour of one of the adapters available which will allow the use of a Shimano chainset (I recently asked a question on this very forum regards using an 11sp compatible component with 10sp derailleur etc).

Anyway, I'm aware of a few adapters on the market, namely Praxis, KCNC & Rotor. Anyone have any particular experience using these things?

Ta  3

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

BobbyG | 8 years ago
0 likes

Fitted my Wheels MFG BB30 adapters & Ultegra chainset today, no spacers needed (although I did go back to Planet X and buy them!).

Appreciate the help, it's looking good so far  16

turboprannet | 8 years ago
0 likes

Good timing Bobby - I was putting an order in on there anyway and decided to get the spacers too.

I've been working very well without the spacers but I am looking to see if I can stop my heel striking the chainstay when I'm being sloppy.

Apparently you generally don't need them but you can make slight alterations to Q Factor if you need by using them. I've no problem buying them as the saving was huge on the last order and it's the price of a Peroni. Always good to experiment a bit

BobbyG | 8 years ago
0 likes

Is anyone who's using the Wheels MFG kit using the spacers also? It appears I've only bought the cups from PlanetX  102

0 likes

The Wheels MFG ones seem to be holding up really well. I did a ride yesterday which was the first proper climbing test and it was generally very quiet. I don't think I'd buy a BB30 bike again and I would need a massive incentive to buy another Cannondale.

On the plus side I've learnt a lot about bearings, got some lovely tools and learnt some life lessons.

I am very much of the opinion that the next time I have a problem "downstairs" on the Cannondale I will be getting a new frame and bin the Synapse

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

Personally I have never used a BB30 purely because of all the complaints about them the hassle is not worth the miniscule amount of gain in performance that this system allegedly has over BBR60. I have been recently buying Ultegra BB60s for £12.99.They are neat, light and easy to fit and more to the point they don't creak and they spin beautifully.
I believe that the Pinnarello Dogma F8 used by Team Sky utilises the BB60 and if its good enough for them it should be good enough for everyone else !

BobbyG | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all, I was looking for a replacement BB such as the KCNC product, however having now seen the Wheels MFG adaptor kit as mentioned above, I've ordered a set from Planet X.

Thanks  1

kwi | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm running the SRAM adapter with no lock-tite and no issues yet, fitted in January. Be aware that the screw in bearings go in a lot lighter than they do into a frame and take time to make sure you press them squarely in.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I initially went withhttp://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/sram-pressfit-30-to-bsa-adapto...

Praxis was my next option to stop creaking, the Sram adaptor worked so didn't progress.

The sram allows bottom bearing easy changes

turboprannet replied to CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

I initially went withhttp://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/sram-pressfit-30-to-bsa-adapto...

Praxis was my next option to stop creaking, the Sram adaptor worked so didn't progress.

The sram allows bottom bearing easy changes

This is my next step should the Wheels MFG adaptors prove to go the way of the RSP ones. I've heard a lot of positive stuff about the SRAM adaptor.

trailflow | 8 years ago
0 likes

Those adapters above still use the existing BB30 bearings.

He's talking about a full conversion kit.

turboprannet replied to trailflow | 8 years ago
0 likes
trailflow wrote:

Those adapters above still use the existing BB30 bearings.

He's talking about a full conversion kit.

I thought he was asking what would do the job, with the thread title being BB30 Adapters and all.

The RSP does not use the BB30 bearings, it has it's own bearings which do not come with the press facings - making it very hard to get them fitted without a headache.

Wheels MFG does use BB30 bearings - if you have a good set there is, in theory, nothing wrong with that.

Middleburn were showing a very well machined set of BB30 adaptors at Bespoked which should now be available (they were prototypes then). From talking to them the kit comes with the correct plates for a bearing press so that you can fit them with less hassle. This may not be correct now though so check with them.

I've heard good things about Praxis and Rotor, even the FSA sleeves but do you not have to Loctite them in? This would be a problem if you wanted to take the chainset off for another bike and put the old BB30 back on.

This is just from my experience. I've had two BB30 frames and I hate the current one I have partly due to the high levels of maintenance required for it not to be noisy. This seems to have gone away with the Wheels MFG solution however. The other reason being the 25.4mm seatpost.

0 likes

I used two RSP ones (first one had some user error induced fitting issues) and they were both absolute litter. Noisy, bearings wore out in days

I am using the wheels mfg one now and it seems MUCH better, planetx have them for £5.99 which is an absolute steal.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BBWMBB30/wheels-manufacturing-bb30-kit

pauldmorgan | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've used the Wheels MFG one for SRAM GXP - worked very well.

Latest Comments