Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bar Tape - Recommendations

Hi, need to re-wrap a set of bars...ideally with some tape that's got a bit of padding as the current Fizik tape is pretty thin and uncomfortable. Wondering what tape people are using and recommend.

Thanks, Ed

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

S13SFC | 8 years ago
0 likes

Lizard Skins. Lovely.

Woldsman | 8 years ago
0 likes

Oh, when I put on the Giant Connect gel tape I left the original skinny tape on the bars. Thought I might as well.

Simon E replied to Woldsman | 8 years ago
0 likes
Woldsman wrote:

Oh, when I put on the Giant Connect gel tape I left the original skinny tape on the bars. Thought I might as well.

Normally you'd strip it off completely and clean any residue off the bars so the new tape has a good surface to adhere to.

Woldsman replied to Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:
Woldsman wrote:

Normally you'd strip it off completely and clean any residue off the bars so the new tape has a good surface to adhere to.

Yes, normally I would, and did on the bike with the Specialized Phat tape referred to upthread, but thought I'd give it a go on my Giant bike after severe pain in the heel of my right palm. I read something about riders on Paris–Roubaix going with two lots of bar tape.

However, I have yet to ride the Giant any significant distance since wrapping the bars. I'll just have to see how I get on...

Jack Osbourne snr | 8 years ago
0 likes

For padding, I can highly recommend the Boardman gel tape from that place wot does Boardman... Much to my surprise!

Needed some new tape in a hurry after an oily hand vs. White bar tape disaster and happened to be passing a branch of the shop wot does Boardman.

Ten pounds and includes screw in end plugs.

Only criticism is it gets a bit slippy when wet, but if you're wearing gloves, you won't even notice.

0 likes

For padding, I can highly recommend the Boardman gel tape from that place wot does Boardman... Much to my surprise!

Needed some new tape in a hurry after an oily hand vs. White bar tape disaster and happened to be passing a branch of the shop wot does Boardman.

Only criticism is it gets a bit slippy when wet, but if you're wearing gloves, you won't even notice.

0 likes

0 likes

Richbeck | 8 years ago
0 likes

Lizard skins every time!

levermonkey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Do you want to be a little different? Have you thought of wrap instead of tape? Have a look at this link,

http://www.nonusual.com/gropes

You can add additional padding such as Bontrager's IsoZone Bar Padding underneath if you need to. Also, don't underestimate the cushioning potential of a good pair of comfort-mitts.

peted76 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Lizard Skins for me, it is expensive but the best texture I've got to grips with.
Three thicknesses available I use the middling one at 2.5mm.

mike the bike replied to peted76 | 8 years ago
0 likes
peted76 wrote:

Lizard Skins for me, it is expensive but the best texture I've got to grips with.
Three thicknesses available I use the middling one at 2.5mm.

Me too. It may cost a little more - alright, a lot more - but you only buy it once.

bikebot | 8 years ago
0 likes

And if padding is the concern, double wrap the section of bars where you need it.

monkeytrousers | 8 years ago
0 likes

Zipp CX. Well padded and grippy. You'll only find it in black and maybe red though. White has vanished off the face of the earth.

fukawitribe replied to monkeytrousers | 8 years ago
0 likes
monkeytrousers wrote:

Zipp CX. Well padded and grippy. You'll only find it in black and maybe red though. White has vanished off the face of the earth.

Agree, lovely stuff. Funnily enough I still have a box lurking in a drawer.. in white  1 Also quite like the Bontrager stuff - easy to put on, very comfy and reasonably grippy.

Nat Jas Moe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Fizik performance bar tape £14

stenmeister replied to Nat Jas Moe | 8 years ago
0 likes
Nat Jas Moe wrote:

Fizik performance bar tape £14

+1 on this. It's a thick tape and looks good.

Woldsman | 8 years ago
0 likes

Giant Connect gel. Or the pricier Specialized Phat tape with actual strips of gel.

The Rake | 8 years ago
0 likes

I thought the Bontrager gel cork was okay. I've actually just fitted some to my winter bike today (from LBS as I was in town) - £13 - easy to fit. The stem end adhesive tape strip is a bit rubbish but I always use electrical tape here anyway

Jeroen0110 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I caN highly recommend the standard Evans bar tape (FWE) which comes in a variety of colours, and I've just wrapped my winter steed (which has made a reappearance recently due to monsoon rains) in the 4.5mm FWE variety. Both are very good, the latter comes with some gel inserts too which are sublime.

I've tried Deda and Bontrager, waste of money, use toilet paper instead - thicker and more comfy.

The FWE stuff is 9.99 and 16.99 respectively, very well priced for the quality in my opinion.

Latest Comments