Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Di2

Does anyone know if you can use the climbing shifter without the "main" shifter on the latest di2?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

massivecompacthalo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Does anyone know if its possible to use an old shifter dismantled so as to have just the small buttons, to use as a hacked climbing shifter? I'm on Ultegra 6770.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

You can plug into hoods or fit a 5 way interface. Advantage of 5 way is, for example if you fit time trial clip ons with switches, it's easy to remove later. For a more permanent fit run cables under new bar tape.

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

No, it would only be of use to have them as extra buttons, I spend 70+% of my time on the hoods tbh.

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

Some useful information in those links, I hadn't clocked that the sprint and climbers shifters were different things.

I've got the hydraulic ST785 STIs so sprint shifters are an immediate no-no (they miss the connection). It seems I'd need to buy a 5-port dura-ace junction box to get the extra port for the climber shifters (have the 3 port ultegra one atm), which turns it from a relative cheap thing which I might do for giggles - to a much more expensive proposition.

fukawitribe replied to sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes
sergius wrote:

Some useful information in those links, I hadn't clocked that the sprint and climbers shifters were different things.

I've got the hydraulic ST785 STIs so sprint shifters are an immediate no-no (they miss the connection). It seems I'd need to buy a 5-port dura-ace junction box to get the extra port for the climber shifters (have the 3 port ultegra one atm), which turns it from a relative cheap thing which I might do for giggles - to a much more expensive proposition.

Didn't you want to try without the main shifters though ? That should work.

rjfrussell | 8 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Should be fine from what i've heard/seen, as they're a shifter switch in their own right and not slaved to the STI like the sprinter shifters were e.g.

SW-R600 Climbing/PAVE Shifter.
This shifter is for road bikes and is mounted on the upper horizontal portion of the handlebar, or any other location comfortable for the rider. They can be used in addition to the Dual Control Brake Lever/Shifter, or can be used on their own by plugging directly into a SM-EW90-A 3-Port Junction or SM-EW90-B Dura-Ace 5-Port Junction.

http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-everything-you-need-to-know/

That said, i've not tried it.

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's on my list of things to look into, I quite fancy the idea of the climbing shifters. Would be a good road.cc article:

Extending your Di2: how to's for d-fly and the climbing shifter

edvelo | 8 years ago
0 likes

Don't you just get a different junction box to add shifters. My Ultegra Di2 came with a junction box with 3 plugs, but I see in the manual you can get them with 5, which I assumed was to add shifters.

If this is the case, you'd just plug the additional shifter into the empty ports.

That doesn't answer your question at all, does it  21

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

I doubt it as doesn't the climb shifter need to plug into the actual shifter?
You could possibly use the xtr or alfine di2 shifters though

Latest Comments