Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Decent hubs vs wheelsystem?

Hello,

I recently purchased two bikes: A 2014 defy advanced 1, with p-sl1 wheels, and a 2014 Giant TCR SLR 2, with p-r2 wheels on it. I personally like the TCR more than the Defy, however, getting up to speed and maintaining speed is easier on the Defy with the p-sl1 wheels. The p-sl1 wheels are also stiffer, however I am most interested in getting going and maintaining; I also want durability. Will better hubs help the p-r2's or will a second set of p-sl1's on the TCR (p-sl1 wheels much cheaper than asetof dura ace hubs.) P-sl1's are substantially lighter than the p-r2's (1500 vs1900). Will the lighter wheel do more than a good hub alone? Also, I have considered the Mavic kysirium equipe s, as I also want a compliant ride. I do not want the stiffest, fastest, most areo wheel, as I like to push myself for fitness purposes only and wish to be comfortable as well. Any thoughts from people who have good knowledge on wheels would be extremelly helpfull.

Thanks,

Andy

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Flying Scot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Hubs give a compromise on weight/ longevity/service frequency. ONly really crap or badly adjusted ones have poor rolling resistance.

Find a local wheel builder to make something that suits you, it won't really cost any more than a generic factory system built set.

Simontuck | 8 years ago
0 likes

Obvious answer is to try the aero wheels on the tcr. Or is that defy a disc brakes model? If so I'm sure your local dealer would let you try the psl1 on the tcr if you just bought two bikes off him!

Latest Comments