Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano hanger adaptor upto 40t cassette

After all my little efforts to make an extended hanger, this sneaky company has made a snazzy adaptor. Looks very good  4

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/expand-your-road-bikes-gearin...
Only a few quid

Mine cost a little more once Cad was priced in! My design is a little more elegant  4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwtbdlnury70s2s/WP_20150804_08_58_30_Pro.jpg?dl=0

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Beefy | 8 years ago
0 likes

You made a great piece of kit, Do you use a MTB cassett? Is the spacing compatable with road shifters?

CXR94Di2 replied to Beefy | 8 years ago
0 likes
Beefy wrote:

You made a great piece of kit, Do you use a MTB cassett? Is the spacing compatable with road shifters?

My road setup is 11 speed and I bought the Shimano XTR 11-40 11 speed. Yes all spacing works fine.

exilegareth | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've got an old Defy 4 with 8spd Claris setup that could definitely benefit from something like this

fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the info, hadn't fully the time and effort (and cash...) that'd gone into it ! Still, cracking setup and definitely something i'll try. Slowly working my way up some Tacx climbs - and with my knees and borked left leg i'll need some help, that's for sure. I'll give the RoadLink a try if a longer/reversed B-screw doesn't work on the RD-6800 GS - worth a punt.

Cheers again, have fun on the climbs !

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

From memory my Shimano setup worked upto 35T with B screw tension increased. A longer screw is sometimes required(local nut and bolt supplier have them in stainless steel)
You would need a long cage derailleur for sure.

Re Cost
Yes it was not a cheap exercise, I went with a laser scanning reverse engineering company to create the CAD, tidy up my design, then had the items made, 3 parts.

I wanted the hangers to be perfect so cost wasn't the factor holding me back from going through the experience. I would try this new adaptor, as its very cheap compared to my costs, let say ~£75 per part! Gulp

Context though, I have just spent £150 on an aero helmet for a few seconds time improvement  35 Crazy we cyclists are

But look what I have ended up with, a road bike with mountain bike gearing that will go up anything with ease- no more grinding out on the steepest of hills, so if hills are your thing go for it  4

I have literally taken delivery, they are great, a bonus is that an extra one is the box
So if anyone fancies trying a 40T cassette let me know( it will be cheaper than I paid to have it made). The hanger type is for a Boardman D87 see image below of original hanger and my creation

https://www.dropbox.com/s/todpo58d1i1w70u/2015-08-06%2012.45.49.jpg?dl=0

fukawitribe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Looks like you have the edge on practicality as well, at least as far as the manufacturers are willing to hold their hand up to

11s Cassette Compatibility:

• 11-32: Not Required
  • 11-36: Single or Double Chainring
  • 11-40: Single Chainring
  • 11-42: Not Supported
  • 10-42: Not Supported
  • ..and looks of course, seriously nice bit of kit you've ended up with !

Thinking of which, I was going to ask a while ago if you could get some hangers made up and, if so, how much might it cost. I still might go the hanger adaptor route so I could use a 40T in future, but I was also toying with the idea of getting a SRAM PG-1170 11-36 and wondering whether I could fit that just winding the B-screw out (or getting a longer one). When you did you conversion I think you mentioned you got the 40T setup on the B-screw but with dodgy shifting - if so, don't suppose you remember whether it was possible to shift OK onto the 36T ? If not, would you consider getting another hanger machined ? Expensive ?

Cheers
    Tim

Latest Comments