Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Oakley lenses: Which ones do you use?

Hey guys,

I'm in the market to pick up some new sunglasses for cycling. I'm looking at Oakley's specifically. I just like them.

If you use Oakley sunglasses, what lens do you use for cycling in the UK? Also looking for a lens I can use when I go to the Alps/Pyrenees next year to climb some mountains.

What lens would you recommend?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

Spiny | 8 years ago
0 likes

Road Racing jackets with prizm/orange depending on sun/cloud. Love em.

sergius | 8 years ago
0 likes

I've the Red Iridium lenses on my Prizm Radarlocks, I don't have other lenses to compare against apart from the Orange low light ones - but what I would say is that the glasses are great, albeit a teensy bit dark if it's not blue skies all the way.

madindehead | 8 years ago
0 likes

Probably going to go for either OO Red Iridium or the new Prizm Road. Black Iridium Polarised is probably too dark for road cycling in the UK. Perhaps for France it might be needed. But I'm hoping I can grab some VR28 BIP by then.

wellcoordinated | 8 years ago
0 likes

Buy Rainex for you car windscreen in Halfords much cheaper and works the same as nano what's it.

ibr17xvii replied to wellcoordinated | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cheers sounds good, I'll take a look at that as well.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes, it works on any glasses.
It's basically polish which fills in any micro imperfections in the surface of the lens. It's expensive and as I say, there are other things which might work just as well, but it lasts for ages and will enhance the see-through clothing effect but only when used on Oakleys...

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

I think it works very well; when it rains the water just rolls off the lens. I'm sure there is other stuff that will do the same trick, but for rainy rides I would recommend it.

ibr17xvii replied to crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes
crikey wrote:

I think it works very well; when it rains the water just rolls off the lens. I'm sure there is other stuff that will do the same trick, but for rainy rides I would recommend it.

I take it you can use it on pretty much any lenses?

I've got some prescription Rudy Project glasses which like pretty much any glasses I guess are next to useless in the rain.

Kadinkski | 8 years ago
0 likes

I got some polarised oakleys for a snowy spring ride in the alps a couple of years ago and they were a waste of money to be honest. My standard lensed pair were far more comfortable on the eye in those conditions.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Never been there but I don't see why not...
Unless there's snow which might cause some weird glare-idk tbh

madindehead | 8 years ago
0 likes

Are the Prizm road lenses ok when in the Alps?

tom_w replied to madindehead | 8 years ago
0 likes
madindehead wrote:

They definitely aren't the darkest lenses out there, but I haven't found myself squinting with them in the UK yet, so I reckon they'd be fine. I imagine they were developed in California where the light levels must be pretty high.

madindehead replied to tom_w | 8 years ago
0 likes
tom_w wrote:
madindehead wrote:

They definitely aren't the darkest lenses out there, but I haven't found myself squinting with them in the UK yet, so I reckon they'd be fine. I imagine they were developed in California where the light levels must be pretty high.

Ok cool. Thanks. Do you find yourself missing the polarisation on them? Or do you find that it's not an issue here in the UK?

My main two options are between the Prizm Road and the OO Red Iridium Polarised which is why I ask (and I'm currently used to glasses with quite low light transmission 11% vs the Prizm Road which is 18% if I'm correct)

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Prizm road lenses.
Clear for dusky track racing at 9:30 or later.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

...and can you see ladies underwear or not?

Come on, people need to know!

foot_loose | 8 years ago
0 likes

I bought a pair recently with prizm road lenses. Came with a second set of different lenses and a hard case.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Not really.

Paying a large amount of money for a pair of sunnies does tend to concentrate the mind when using them. In my experience, they do get scratched after a few years, especially when ridden in wet and gritty conditions, but by then there is a new model out which you feel compelled to buy.

Oakleys do seem to last for a good while, probably because you look after them a bit better, possibly because they are very good quality kit.

Taking care cleaning them and not putting them in pockets makes a difference; hence why people put them in helmet vents when they take them off.

Worth it in my opinion, and I'm a right tight bastard when it comes to expensive bike kit...

...and because it's my 1000th post, I'll add that the after market service is bloody brilliant; I had a pair of M frames run over after dropping them; replaced the frame for £15...

DanTe | 8 years ago
0 likes

Stupid question alert: if you get scratches on your lenses is there anything you can do about it?

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

...and get some Oakley Nanoclear cleaning stuff when you get your specs; it does what it claims to do, and your first rainy ride will make you happier.

ibr17xvii replied to crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

crikey wrote:

...and get some Oakley Nanoclear cleaning stuff when you get your specs; it does what it claims to do, and your first rainy ride will make you happier.

It's half decent then? Read conflicting views.

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

Blue polarized or Red Iridium polarized seem to do the trick, but try the new Prizm lenses; they let you look right through ladies dresses and see their undies unless I've mixed them up with another kind of glasses.

Judge dreadful | 8 years ago
0 likes

Black iridium polarised,

Yorkshie Whippet | 8 years ago
0 likes

My preference is Fire for bright, G30s for not so bright and clear for night.

Latest Comments