Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What to do about sabotaged bike locks

I leave my bike locked on the bike racks at my local railway station between 7am and 7pm and so far I haven't had any problems, but I've heard of people finding their bike locks superglued (or otherwise sabotaged) so that they can't unlock their bike, so they leave the bike overnight and someone comes along later with an angle grinder to work on the lock when there's no-one else around.

Is there any way to prevent a lock being sabotaged in such a way? Other than having your own cordless angle-grinder, what other options are there?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

levermonkey | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you regularly spray 3in1 oil into the lock it prevents superglue from setting and gumming up the lock in the first place.

The big problem is if someone inserts an object or 'snaps off' a key in it.

bikebot | 8 years ago
0 likes

If it ever happens, walk into the nearest pharmacy and buy a bottle of nail varnish remover (or keep a small bottle if you're worried about this risk). It's acetone, which will dissolve superglue.

levermonkey | 8 years ago
0 likes

There is not a great deal that you can do to prevent this. All you can do is deal with the aftermath.

1) If you are going to leave your bike anywhere make sure that your bike can be linked to you. Frame number on database and proof of identity.
2) Notify the Police immediately and anyone else who you think might need to know. This is important as it lets them know there is a problem in this area and you're about to look a bit suspicious.
3) Do not leave the scene! If you cannot remove the lock yourself, or know someone who can, then call a locksmith. He will want proof of who you are and that the bike is yours.

You are allowed to turn the air blue in these situations. Doesn't solve anything but you feel better.

Latest Comments