Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Help please we don't know what we are doing!

Hi, my daughter has recently started to ride a road bike and has joined a club. She was a little worried about using the pedals which require the shoe to be locked into place.( there's probably a name for them but I have no idea  17 ) she has now changed her mind. Can you please tell me if these pedals are suitable with cleats? Thank you

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

dottigirl | 8 years ago
0 likes

Spuds all the way.

The difference in performance between the two is neglible, unless she's racing.

Once she gets them, she's best practising either on a turbo or in a narrow hallway. Clip in, clip out, clip in, clip out...ad infinitum, and with the pedals in different positions.

Also stationary is the best time to discover that you haven't tightened the screws up enough, rather than down the road and unable to get your foot out.

bikebot | 8 years ago
0 likes

My road bike has single sided A520 SPD pedals, and I wear a pair of RT82 shoes. Unless you take a close look, most people wouldn't even notice that they're not "proper" road shoes.

Well, that's until I get off the bike and I'm the only one who isn't walking like a penguin.

The big advantage for me, is that I have several bikes and shoes, but they're all compatible with one another.

bertisfantastic | 8 years ago
0 likes

i am an spd man. it means that my bikes and shoes are interchangeable - a massive advantage if doing touring etc. i am from an mtb background so it seemed sensible to stick with what i know. i did try look for a while - i fell over a lot. it wasn't worth the hassle.

i have both road and mtb shoes. i suspect the power difference given my woeful cycling fitness is minimal

Big Engine | 8 years ago
0 likes

Those who suggest starting with SPD offer sage advice. Simple, cheap, effective.

If people in a club look down on you for using SPD, then...

As another contributor said, SPDs are great because they're an easy pedal to learn being fixed to. One small move and your daughter will be able to clip out with ease. There are lots of good entry-level shoes about, including Shimano & Specialized.

Learn to be fixed to a bike on grass, if you can; the falling is much nicer. (Don't worry about falling, it's only a very few times at the beginning, and a soft body protects a nice bike  1 .)

crikey | 8 years ago
0 likes

These are what you've got, more or less, but without the cage and the strap;

//www.cyclollector.com/2649-thickbox_default/maillard-cxc-pedals-christophe-toeclips.jpg)

These are the cages:

//worldclasscycles.com/mks_ss_toeclips550.jpg)

These are SPD pedals, a much better option;

//media.performancebike.com/images/performance/products/1500/50-2166-NCL-ANGLE.JPG)

and these are the cleats and shoe setup;

//www.sheldonbrown.com/images/solessmIMG_1195.JPG)

These are the different styles of road pedals;

//university.tri-sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/pedal50-copy.jpg)

There are many other types of pedal and shoe available...

ianrobo | 8 years ago
0 likes

for a first timer definitely go for SPD's to start with and if int he future want to move to SPD SL then you will be experienced in them.

KirinChris | 8 years ago
0 likes

I don't know any serious road rider who doesn't use road-specific systems.

Look, Speedplay or Shimano (road not MTB) would be the main choices.

Look do an "easy" version of their Keo pedals which are supposed to be a good entry level, and cheaper.

If she's serious about cycling and has joined a club then just do it. If she doesn't want to stand out as the odd one with different equipment then get a road-specific system, unless you want your daughter to be the one kid with MTB pedals.

I know there will now be a chorus of "don't worry about what everyone else thinks" but that's fine when you're a 40 something guy doing an audax or sportive and slightly different for a teenage (?) girl joining a club and starting out in a sport.

There's no benefit to NOT using a road system, so just go with the flow.

hylozoist replied to KirinChris | 8 years ago
0 likes
abudhabiChris wrote:

I don't know any serious road rider who doesn't use road-specific systems. [...]

Define "serious"... I'd like to think of myself as reasonably serious, and I use MTB SPDs across all my bikes (MTB, road, commute), because I like the consistency, familiarity (I started from the MTB side) and general ease of use. I reserve the right to change my mind and get a road-specific system if I feel a need to, but it's not happened so far (although I have to admit that Speedplay pedals look quite cool).

abudhabiChris wrote:

I know there will now be a chorus of "don't worry about what everyone else thinks" but that's fine when you're a 40 something guy doing an audax or sportive and slightly different for a teenage (?) girl joining a club and starting out in a sport.

Well, it's certainly true that there will be people out there who will criticise someone for using the 'wrong' system. It could almost be perceived that you are doing just that yourself. But I would have thought that any decent club would be overwhelmingly supportive of a new young rider who chooses to start out with standard SPD pedals.

abudhabiChris wrote:

There are benefits to not using a road system, just not to you maybe  1

@MSWshrop - if your daugher doesn't want to take the full plunge, she could consider single-sided pedals like the A530 touring pedals (which feature in one of the photos crikey posted). I use them on my commuter/everyday bike as they give me the choice of using normal or cycling-specific shoes depending on my trip - you can use the large flat side with normal shoes and clip on with the other side. It doesn't take much practice getting used to that either.

For road use, Shimano RT82 touring shoes work really well for me. While I've obviously not tried them, being a bloke, you can get women-specific Shimano WR35 shoes for £50, as well as other shoes like the RT32 for a bit less. As Mike previously commented, touring shoes look essentially like 'standard' road shoes and the only way people might notice that they are not is that your daughter will be able to walk around in them easily when off the bike  1

wycombewheeler replied to KirinChris | 8 years ago
0 likes
abudhabiChris wrote:

SPDs are double sided. Most road systems are not.

When you want to pick up some shopping on the way home SPD shoes are much easier to walk around the shop in.

The recessed cleat on mtb shoes means you don't slip off the pedal when you just miss the cleat.

SPD cleats seam to be much more durable than road cleats, which seem to be considered a consumable part.

mike the bike | 8 years ago
0 likes

For what it's worth, I meet an ever-increasing number of road cyclists who have given up on 3-bolt "road" cleats (SPD SL) and pedals and gone back to the simple 2-bolt MTB type (SPD)

There seem to be three reasons for the change:
1. Despite the cries of the "road" fans, there is no difference in comfort or power transfer, at least for normal humans.
2. The 2-bolt (SPD) type cost much less and last much longer.
3. If you buy touring SPDs and shoes nobody will know.

Anyway, SPDs suit me, and I have never ridden an MTB in anger.

Toro Toro | 8 years ago
0 likes

Those will do more or less as well as flat pedals would do! But if your daughter's half serious about this - she's joined a club, she clearly is - then she wants to get beyond flat pedals.

Getting used to "clipless" pedals is the *big* threshold to riding seriously. It's disconcerting to be stuck to the bike. But you quickly learn how to deal with it, and it becomes much more uncomfortable not to be anchored that way. There'll probably be a pratfall or two, but by its nature it only happens at very low speed. What you gain instead is immeasurably better stability and confidence at high speed. Kinda like driving without a seatbelt; once you're used to having it on, it feels a bit weird not to. And yep, if you forget how to release it, you might not escape flaming wreckage quite as quickly. That's not a risk we sweat. Once you're used to clipless, you'd never go back.

How to start with clip-ins? Lots of people say to go SPD, so they're cheaper and easier to fit, and you can still walk around in the shoes. Lots say go straight for road shoes, road cleats, and road pedals, because you'll learn them in twenty minutes (pratfalls aside), and roadies don't walk in their shoes anyway, and you feel like a *proper* cyclist immediatey. I took the second route, but each to their own. Millions of equally good ways to peel an orange...

MSWshrop | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thank you all that been really helpful!

HalfWheeler | 8 years ago
0 likes

PS, should have said, if she's in a club someone from there should be able to help face to face rather than on t'internet.

HalfWheeler | 8 years ago
0 likes

Just to add my tuppence worth at this stage I'd buy your daughter a cheap pair of mountain bike SPD pedals (you can get them for £20 or less now). They are double sided (you can clip into either side) and so are a bit more user friendly than the one sided road pedals as well as being kinder on her knees.

You would need to buy mountain bike or road touring shoes to go with them (£40 or so). These have the added bonus of being able to walk on them (road clipless pedal shoes are like back to front high heels).

If the road biking bug really bites in the coming years then you could upgrade to proper road clipless pedals.

I spent years cycling on the road with mountain bike SPDs no problems, it was only when I started racing that I changed to proper road pedals.

wycombewheeler replied to HalfWheeler | 8 years ago
0 likes
HalfWheeler wrote:

You would need to buy mountain bike or road touring shoes to go with them (£40 or so). These have the added bonus of being able to walk on them (road clipless pedal shoes are like back to front high heels).

shimano do shoes with both 2 and 3 hole fixings so you can use with either mtb or road pedals, but then you lose the easy walking of mtb shoes with recessed cleat, also mtb shoes are more forgiving if you miss the cleat, as you can still pedal with the tread rather than slip off and gauge your shins.

wycombewheeler | 8 years ago
0 likes

Also. Some cleats have 3 bolts and some have 2. The shoes need to have the correct number of holes. (Convention is 3 holes for road bike and 2 for mountain bike). They are much better than straps because the natural instinct when falling sideways is to move the foot to the side which releases the cleat, not backwards as you would have to to escape from the strap. Adjust the pedal tension to the minimum when starting for easy removal.

trailflow | 8 years ago
0 likes

Cleats need to match to the model,brand of the pedal.

New clip in pedals (confusingly called clipless pedals) will come with cleats.

Kapelmuur | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'm no expert, but they look like pedals from which the toe clips have been removed and are dangerous to use.

MSWshrop replied to Kapelmuur | 8 years ago
0 likes

Yes you are right. The straps were removed as my daughter didn't like them. So will we have to buy different pedals to go with the cleats?

Latest Comments