Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New wheelset - weight or watt

I have an option to buy an unused set of da-c24 for £350. This will be a significant upgrade to my fulcrum racing 7. But to complicate things I have been offered a powertap wheelset for £150. Using watt is tempting, but this wheelset is no upgade to my current when it comes to weight.

I dont compete with my road bike (only xc). Do I really need the DA or should I save some cash and get the powertaps?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

Power meter by far the best investment if you want to see and quantify your improvement. It's nice to feel that you're improving/faster, but for me it's more so when I can see the numbers regularly going up.  1

Simon E replied to CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes
CXR94Di2 wrote:

Power meter by far the best investment if you want to see and quantify your improvement.

OP hasn't actually said that is what he/she is looking for.

IMHO you either really want a powermeter or you don't. So seems odd to compare a PM wheelset with a standard one. Personally I'd grab the Dura-Ace, £350 is a great price for an unused pair.

CXR94Di2 wrote:

It's nice to feel that you're improving/faster, but for me it's more so when I can see the numbers regularly going up.  1

A £20 cycle computer will do that too, you know  3

oletbra | 8 years ago
0 likes

Thanks.

Since I currently only use the bike for training I will buy the Powertap wheelset for now. It is a G3 model from April 2014, and should be supported.

I weigh about 180lb. It is relativeliy flat where I live, and it can be quite windy, so I guess when I do start to compete a mid-profile aero wheelset would be a good option. The roads are quite nice.

The price and the weight of the DA-C24 makes it very tempting, but I guess for my use the Powertaps are a better choice. And I want to try power meter training.

Derny | 8 years ago
0 likes

If you have never trained with a power meter, I recommend trying it at some point. Which model is it? There are older PowerTap products which are no longer supported and I would steer clear of them. Verify that parts are available for it before buying.

You didn't mention your weight or the riding conditions you face. It's hard to recommend wheels without some details. If you ride long climbs, or in windy conditions, or on bad roads, or you want to go up hill fast... these things make a difference to your choice.

Nixster | 8 years ago
0 likes

What's your objective?

If you want to get faster, the power tap wheel will enable you to train with power data which if done right could make a big improvement in your performance.

The dura ace wheels are great quality all round wheels which will make a marginal difference to performance but will make riding your bike feel nicer (and a good price too) so potentially more enjoyable to ride.

Your call really...

2 Wheeled Idiot replied to Nixster | 8 years ago
0 likes
Nixster wrote:

What's your objective?

If you want to get faster, the power tap wheel will enable you to train with power data which if done right could make a big improvement in your performance.

The dura ace wheels are great quality all round wheels which will make a marginal difference to performance but will make riding your bike feel nicer (and a good price too) so potentially more enjoyable to ride.

Your call really...

This x100
Also if you don't buy the powertap wheels can you send me the details of whoever is selling them for that much  3

Anthony.C | 8 years ago
0 likes

Get the DA-C24 wheels because that is a pretty good price, powermeters are coming down in price so get one later if you still want one.

Latest Comments