Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin Edge 25 review

Not being keen on a slab of expensive kit jutting from my bars when I saw this in the LBS I bought it almost on impulse to complete the new bike as my first GPS device.

First impressions were ok, excellent tracking of my rides, sl erratic current speed readings, though a software update seems to have made this feature more responsive. I managed to upload a course eventually, though only through Garmin Connect.

Connect is not without it's faults, a railway line across my route turned into an impenetrable barrier, the thing kept trying to loop me back & around it! Finally, with the aid of a Garmin Communicator download, and the addition of TCX converter I can now create a route on ridewithGPS, and upload it to the Edge25 without strange route problems as found in Garmin Connect. Also WTF is all the hassle with file formats, the Edge 25 uses "FIT" files,hence the TCX converter mularcky!!

On the road, the screen is clear, digits are big enough to read, customisable screen is great, now got ave speed on the top, current in the middle larger digits & distance below. Screen 2 is total ascent & time.

When you get a course loaded the turn prompts are useful if on unknown roads; ie the Wiggle Mendip Sportive bit round Chew Lake.

Battery life seems as quoted,did a 5hr 40min 100 miler & still had plenty charge left, bluetooths to my knackered old Samsung S3 with no hassle.

I haven't got a HR belt that will connect yet, so can't comment on that aspect.

Overall pleased with it, frustrated by the route uploading hassle, is this just a generic Garmin problem? Think other Edges use TCX file formats.

I'd give it 9/10, if route uploading was easier I'd prob go 10, interested to know of other experiences.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Latest Comments