Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

training for a century in 1.5 hour sessions

I've signed up for a pretty flat (around 3000ft of climbing) 100 mile ride in around 8 weeks time, I've never ridden this distance before, however although I have time to train, the bulk of my training time will be in 1.5 hour sessions, so I was wondering if any one had any training tips so I can get the best out of the sessions I have.

at the moment I can comfortably ride 40-50 miles with 3000-5000ft of climbing, (I live in the Peak District surrounded by big hills!)

Not interested in setting a fast time on the century, I just want to make sure I get round it.....

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Simon E | 8 years ago
0 likes

Saddle & food are likely the biggest concerns.

Is there a day when you can do two of these 1½ hour rides? I'd avoid the big hills, do long stretches into the wind (treat it as testing your resolve), ride a medium-hard pace for as long as you can hold it. Then a bit longer - grit your teeth, this last bit is what makes the difference to your condition.

Stratman | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd echo the comments about eating and drinking - worked for me when I did long rides

Judge dreadful | 8 years ago
0 likes

Don't underestimate the mental component. I've not had problems with the physical side of it, but telling your 'better' instinct to shut up, is easier said than done:

Nat Jas Moe | 8 years ago
0 likes

When I made the jump from just riding my 8.5 mile, each way, commute to doing metric and then imperial centuries the hardest thing was eating and drinking properly and then ensuring I was comfy in the saddle. It wasn't the distance that was a problem. Like you I did not set out for the best speed but found that the time I achieved was quite good, 6h 25m including the feed stops for the imperial. Just that bit of rub when I realized that I was 3min too slow for a gold. Just keep doing what your doing and ensure you eat and drink regularly as you go. Best of luck.

CXR94Di2 | 8 years ago
0 likes

I would do high intensity sessions of 5 ,10 20 mins. Then it will be easier later in the ride. Long rides are more about drinking eating and being comfy. If you can ride 50 then you can do 100

Judge dreadful | 8 years ago
0 likes

Get out on the road, plot a nice interesting route, do it. If you make the route interesting. You won't even notice the distance.

Latest Comments