Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cheap carbon vs expensive aluminium?

Question for all of you:

How much of a quality difference is there between cheap and expensive carbon, cheap and expensive aluminium, and then comparing the cheap carbon vs the expensive aluminium?

For example: The most basic Specialized Tarmac carbon frame vs tyhe Specialized Allez S-Works frame.

And which one would you recommend?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

greenlight | 8 years ago
0 likes

High grade Alu, have a Canyon Ultimate Al and see no reason to go carbon unless I spend astronomically more. The marginal frame weight penalty is more than made up for by the better components, especially wheels, which end up being an upgrade that you would want to do if you got a cheap carbon frame anyway at some point, thus making aluminium even better value.

hampstead_bandit | 8 years ago
0 likes

I'd actually take the Allez over the Tarmac, and have experience of owning and riding both

the Tarmac frame is good once you get to S-Works level (though somewhat overpriced!), the entry level Tarmac frames have good handling but are heavy (my Tarmac Elite SL4 in 54cm was 1.2 kg+) and feel soft.

The Allez Smartweld frames are very, very good and have an unusual ride quality for an aluminium alloy frame. Cannondale's aluminium alloy frames and Giant's Defy frames are also very good.

madindehead replied to hampstead_bandit | 8 years ago
0 likes
hampstead_bandit wrote:

I'd actually take the Allez over the Tarmac, and have experience of owning and riding both

the Tarmac frame is good once you get to S-Works level (though somewhat overpriced!), the entry level Tarmac frames have good handling but are heavy (my Tarmac Elite SL4 in 54cm was 1.2 kg+) and feel soft.

The Allez Smartweld frames are very, very good and have an unusual ride quality for an aluminium alloy frame. Cannondale's aluminium alloy frames and Giant's Defy frames are also very good.

I thought this might be the case with the Tarmac, and possibly other carbon frames in general, that the low end one's aren't much better.

As for Canyon, they seem to have less choice now in the Ultimate aluminium frame compared to their carbon offerings. What are their carbon frames like? Unless that's because they have sold out of all models for this year, but it seems that even if a bike is sold out, it's still on the website.

huntswheelers | 8 years ago
0 likes

it's yer pays yer money on this one....... Obvs there is a great pull these days to be one of the "Carbon Club" and then get sucked into the "Shiny bits" syndrome.
Me.... I ride all bikes, carbon,ally,steel etc....being a Bike mechanic and have a 12 mile test route.... for me.... Aluminium all the time.... and don't be fooled by makes either...some of the so called "premium" brands are poorly put together...

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

If it was my money I think expensive aluminum would win over cheap carbon, but I wouldn't go for the spesh options, I'd go for the caad12 or a kinesis aithein.
Also expensive aluminum is usually cheaper than cheap carbon so you might be able to get better wheels or tires for the same amount of money.
But then fit is the most factor so let that help make your decision.

Judge dreadful | 8 years ago
0 likes

It's very bike specific. I've got a cheap Ally frame bike, which I get on with much better than the much more expensive carbon bike. They are very different machines, it's each to their own.

Latest Comments