Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

London: cheap crappy SS or something nicer?

Even though I suspect I know what the responses will say, what are people's thoughts on buying a cheap £250 SS from the LBS for knocking about London on rather than something nice and better such as a Genesis Flyer or a Bombtrack Oxbridge. I'm thinking that something that looks less eye-catching, locked up with a NY Fugeddaboutit mini and a chain lock will more likely be there when I return than something that looks gorgeous like the the other two.

It's pretty sad, because the latter two would probably bring me more pleasure, but if they're a magnet for thieves there's not much point in paying the extra. Your thoughts?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

pants | 8 years ago
0 likes

It also depends on where you lock it, if you work 9 to 5 in somewhere busy it will probably be fine.

pants | 8 years ago
0 likes

Personally if I had to lock my bike outside I'd go cheap every time. I once had a slightly wonky front wheel stolen from a £80 Raleigh banana.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 8 years ago
0 likes

Have a nice quality bike that looks kinda cheap.
Add rust stickers and also paint on some 'scratches' don't keep it aesthetically clean. No bright colors but de logo'd bits, then lock up with quality stuff as you say and it'll be fine.

Danger Dicko | 8 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments